Adobe Issues Final Linux Flash Player Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VCSkier View Post
    Has there been any word on the promised update to the Flash white paper? I'm ready to be done with Adobe Flash, but my wife still uses Hulu and Pandora. If Lightspark or Gnash would be able to support those sites I would ditch Adobe altogether. Is it realistic to hope that this could happen by the end of the year, assuming Adobe does release said documentation?
    if you're asking if adobe will help lightspark or gnash, you should know by now that the likelihood of that is as slim as humans getting to another planet outside our solar system. considering how long gnash has been in development, i don't think the end of the year is going to be enough time for it to catch up. what's wrong with just sticking with the adobe flash player? as i've said in my previous posts, it isn't likely to become incompatible any time soon, if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
      SRWare Iron is a scam so good luck with using it because of privacy issues with Google Chrome.
      What makes you believe its a scam? I use it and its not really a bad browser. Iron is basically Chrome with the nasty parts ripped out

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        What makes you believe its a scam? I use it and its not really a bad browser. Iron is basically Chrome with the nasty parts ripped out

Comment

Iron is basically Chrome with the nasty parts ripped out
          What nasty parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            What nasty parts?
            The parts that "phone home to the mothership"

Comment

The parts that "phone home to the mothership"
              Seriously?

How about some specific examples, like which parts exactly and what kind of info do they send when "phoning home"?

Comment

strace tells all

The mechanism is irrelevant.
                What matters is what bad apps look at.
                In other words which files they read.

The way to know what files an app looks at is strace.

strace -e open -o BADAPP badapp

will create a file called BADAPP containing details of all the "open" system calls, that the badapp makes. If you do this for skype you will see that it looks all over your mozilla profiles, and a host of places it has no right to look.

One way to manage this is to create a seperate user for each dodgy app and run it as that user. Lock down all the permissions on all the /home/* and users cannot read each others' files.

Comment

I have found nothing "scam"-like in his IRC responses. He makes money by Ads, and he makes some event - this is nothing new or illegal. This site works partially with this method.

The only claim that stays is: can you trust third party? This is not easy question. Is SR Iron opensource?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Is SR Iron opensource?
                    It is. And someone once dug through the code to find out the differences compared to Chrome (well, Chromium): http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam. Basically, the differences are very minimal. Stuff is removed that's configurable in Chrome anyway, or isn't actually tracking you. The only difference since then, Iron now has a built-in adblocker. That's it. That's the big secret behind the "safe" Iron and the "big bad spying on you" Chrome.

Basically, this person is counting on people believing in the boogeyman to get ad-revenue. That's the "scam" part about it. Nothing illegal, so not a true scam, but there's deceit and hypocrisy. Deceit, because you're not any safer with Iron, there's no special sauce in it that makes it harder for ad companies to track you (an adblocker is not special sauce, every browser has adblocking extensions available). And hypocrisy, because he's using adsense. So apparently, Google's browser is evil but nothing wrong in taking money from Google's ad platform. Ironically, it's actually the ad platform that really is tracking you.
                    Last edited by Gusar; 03 April 2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                      It is. And someone once dug through the code to find out the differences compared to Chrome (well, Chromium): http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam. Basically, the differences are very minimal. Stuff is removed that's configurable in Chrome anyway, or isn't actually tracking you. The only difference since then, Iron now has a built-in adblocker. That's it. That's the big secret behind the "safe" Iron and the "big bad spying on you" Chrome.

Basically, this person is counting on people believing in the boogeyman to get ad-revenue. That's the "scam" part about it. Nothing illegal, so not a true scam, but there's deceit and hypocrisy. Deceit, because you're not any safer with Iron, there's no special sauce in it that makes it harder for ad companies to track you (an adblocker is not special sauce, every browser has adblocking extensions available). And hypocrisy, because he's using adsense. So apparently, Google's browser is evil but nothing wrong in taking money from Google's ad platform. Ironically, it's actually the ad platform that really is tracking you.
                      Yes, all correct. He is making money and not hurting anyone. He has his own tiny private chirch hehe.

Comment

Working...
                      X