Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org GSoC Is Indeed Dead, But There Is EVoC

Phoronix: X.Org GSoC Is Indeed Dead, But There Is EVoC

As reported previously on Phoronix, X.Org/Mesa/Wayland is no longer involved with Google's Summer of Code. Some changes have also been made concerning the project's independent Endless Vacation of Code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The non-student paragraph is pretty weird "Yes, you can apply to work for free for a few months". It kinda misses on why would anyone do that.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      The non-student paragraph is pretty weird "Yes, you can apply to work for free for a few months". It kinda misses on why would anyone do that.
      Participating/working in a FOSS project might not have direct financial benefits BUT i think a dev with FOSS experience and proven skills won't have trouble getting a decent paying job even FOSS related.

Someone can see it as an investment or can do it just for fun. Programmers are lucky in a way because they can demonstrate their skills. You can't do that in any industry.

Comment

Sure, but you don't need to apply to evoc to contribute to X. Just send a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Sure, but you don't need to apply to evoc to contribute to X. Just send a patch.
          maybe some people are shy and need an "excuse" like evoc to contribute

i don't know if its common for people to just jump in on the mailing list and state "Hey can i help with something" and i don't think that i have seen something like "Tasks" in many project that someone can just hack on.

Comment

The EVOC program probably includes mentoring, in a more official capacity than you could get by just showing up on IRC while writing patches.

But yes, it seems a little strange.

Comment

Sad

I think it is very sad that X wasn't part of GSOC 2012.

We need work on XWayland and XRandR 1.4.

Comment

Working...
              X