A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    But where have you seen him turning his views more "positive" as you said? I guess I haven't been following closely enough to see this actually occur... Shame on me, I guess?
    Well, he has never gone out and fully reversed his position, but he has been changing his tune about it somewhat (saying it is promising in the long run) and was really impressed when someone sent him a game bug report alongside a link to the patch that the guy submitted that fixed the problem in the graphics driver that was causing it. He is beginning to see how the free drivers can be a benefit. No direct links unfortunately, it is mostly just the impression I have been getting from reading over what he has said more recently.

I completely agree that the FOSS drivers are not the reason why games aren't coming to Linux. I have nothing to say to this paragraph except that I agree. But this isn't what I was arguing about then, and it's not what I'm arguing about now.
    This one was not actually pointed at you, per say. Just to the thread in general.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
      Asking people to break the law and/or pay patent cartels for you so that you have an easier time selling your product is not something that is worthy of praise.
      If this is referring to S3TC, then yes, I agree with your position. It does not change the fact that he has done more than most to help Linux grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        You just literally made me LOL pretty hard with that.
        Now my stomach hurts. Thanks.
        You're welcome. I like to jibe with Michael -- he's the kind of likable personality that you can't really dislike, even if he came out as a closet Microsoft shill. I'd laugh, say "Prost!" and drink to his devilish ingenuity.

Comment

oh so it's that time of the year again...I guess this is the warm-up news post for the 3 main news posts about how this year we'll get Steam/Source engine on linux. This is getting old...try something new, like ...uhm...Microsoft dropping Windows! Yeah...that's at least as realistic as Valve porting a game to Linux. (aside from the server part)

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            oh so it's that time of the year again...I guess this is the warm-up news post for the 3 main news posts about how this year we'll get Steam/Source engine on linux. This is getting old...try something new, like ...uhm...Microsoft dropping Windows! Yeah...that's at least as realistic as Valve porting a game to Linux. (aside from the server part)
            No, dude.. I'm usually thinking right along with you, but this time it seems like it's really not a joke. Valve is hiring a software guy to help them with Linux 3d. So that throws the server theory out the window.

Is Valve trolling Michael? Yes, No, Maybe so -- it's possible. But at least I am convinced that Michael truly believes that he is in contact with Valve and that Valve is really trying to do this. Michael is being genuine.

So this comes down to whether you believe that Gabe Newell is trolling Michael. Why would someone worth $1.5 billion waste their time on that when Michael has to make a big deal out of affording a $500 graphics card for his tests? I really don't think Gabe and Michael are on this level. Unless Gabe is just plain mean-spirited and ugly.

Well, he is ugly.

Comment

No, dude.. I'm usually thinking right along with you, but this time it seems like it's really not a joke. Valve is hiring a software guy to help them with Linux 3d. So that throws the server theory out the window.

Is Valve trolling Michael? Yes, No, Maybe so -- it's possible. But at least I am convinced that Michael truly believes that he is in contact with Valve and that Valve is really trying to do this. Michael is being genuine.

So this comes down to whether you believe that Gabe Newell is trolling Michael. Why would someone worth $1.5 billion waste their time on that when Michael has to make a big deal out of affording a $500 graphics card for his tests? I really don't think Gabe and Michael are on this level. Unless Gabe is just plain mean-spirited and ugly.

Well, he is ugly.
              They're certainly not trolling... And for those suggesting Gordon for this Valve work, he already turned down their offer. I quote Valve, "He?s a great guy and exactly the type of person we?d love to get over here. Unfortunately, at the moment he?s very interested in not moving. Feel free to try and convince him otherwise though!"

For all the doubters, when I'm at their offices (in April) hopefully they'll let me record a Phoronix video with I and Gabe confirming the Linux client work... Would that convince you all?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                They're certainly not trolling... And for those suggesting Gordon for this Valve work, he already turned down their offer. I quote Valve, "He?s a great guy and exactly the type of person we?d love to get over here. Unfortunately, at the moment he?s very interested in not moving. Feel free to try and convince him otherwise though!"

For all the doubters, when I'm at their offices (in April) hopefully they'll let me record a Phoronix video with I and Gabe confirming the Linux client work... Would that convince you all?
                The "doubters" will need to install a Source engine game on their computer, then examine the binaries in fine detail to verify that it isn't just a Wine wrapper, before they concede anything.

I like to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism, myself, but I'm reasonably convinced that this is a reality. And by "this", I mean, that Valve is looking into hiring someone to do this work. Unfortunately, "looking into hiring" is a long way from "having usable, released software"; so although I am sure it will come eventually once they hire someone, it could be months or years. It depends on how fast the hired-person works

Comment

The "doubters" will need to install a Source engine game on their computer, then examine the binaries in fine detail to verify that it isn't just a Wine wrapper, before they concede anything.

I like to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism, myself, but I'm reasonably convinced that this is a reality. And by "this", I mean, that Valve is looking into hiring someone to do this work. Unfortunately, "looking into hiring" is a long way from "having usable, released software"; so although I am sure it will come eventually once they hire someone, it could be months or years. It depends on how fast the hired-person works
                  Good point. A wrapper-based solution via WINE would only be half the deal (or less).
                  I wonder how the "Dear Esther" news about the wrapper approach relates to this...

Comment

I send to Gabe recommendation to look at Ryan Gordon works list. Few minutes ago he answer just:

"Thanks.

Gabe"

Thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                      I send to Gabe recommendation to look at Ryan Gordon works list. Few minutes ago he answer just:

"Thanks.

Gabe"

Thats all.
                      They've already been in contact with him as Michael said. Ryan doesn't want to move to go there and do it.

It's no great loss. There are tons of extremely capable programmers out there who would love to work for Valve

Comment

Working...
                      X