A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    We should know a lot more next week. Sit down and relax.
    So. Hard. To. Sit. And. Wait!

I really am looking forward to this Steam event.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
      Isn't anybody going to complain that this isn't "official" because it's not mentioned on the Valve website?
      Can I download the Steam Client for Linux somewhere? No? Has Valve announced when it'll be available? No? Can I download their Source games for Linux? No?

Oh, I'm sure they're working on something at Valve involving Linux (that's all Newell says in the aforementioned podcast). But as long as you can't acquire said something, it's not worth losing any more words about it. At this point it's just as good as vaporware. If it's not released, it doesn't exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
        Isn't anybody going to complain that this isn't "official" because it's not mentioned on the Valve website?

"HURR!!! DERE IZN'T ANY VEEDEEO SO DAT WUZ PROBBLY A FAKE!!!!!!1111one"

... Anybody?

We could really use another good plague.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Published on May 12, 2010

There are VERY good reason quite a few of us are sceptical over Phoronix,Valve and Linux and the predominant reason is what occured almost 2years ago to the day and what then Phoronix did for the proceeding months.

Sure the signs are good this time, but the signs were good last time, I mean a linux client that ACTUALLY launched. We actually have less this time, just inteviews.

I fail to see what exactly is so wrong is erring on the side of caution and wanting some hard proof. We were taken for a ride by Michael 2years ago (he only stopped spewing "it is coming this summer ppl just don't believe me" when Valve made a public statement.

We all want this so stop acting like a self-entitled brat and know your history around this

Comment

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...m_announcement
          It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Published on May 12, 2010

There are VERY good reason quite a few of us are sceptical over Phoronix,Valve and Linux and the predominant reason is what occured almost 2years ago to the day and what then Phoronix did for the proceeding months.

Sure the signs are good this time, but the signs were good last time, I mean a linux client that ACTUALLY launched. We actually have less this time, just inteviews.

I fail to see what exactly is so wrong is erring on the side of caution and wanting some hard proof. We were taken for a ride by Michael 2years ago (he only stopped spewing "it is coming this summer ppl just don't believe me" when Valve made a public statement.

We all want this so stop acting like a self-entitled brat and know your history around this
          I thought people behaving like self-entitled brats were exactly what I was lampooning. You do realize that yours is exactly the kind of post I was making fun of, right?

Know my history, huh? Go eat a dick. I've been following this story for as long as it's been there to follow. And what I've seen every single time is that interesting evidence or fun speculation will crop up, and then you (especially you), and others will descend on the news with your special kind of assholery. Then we all get to read a litany - post after post - of how Phoronix is crap, Michael is a lying twat, and other moan-and-groan depressing bilge about how nothing cool is ever going to come to Linux. It's like Fox News or something. Don't you people have jobs?

Frankly, you've gone past erring on the side of caution and now you're just being a douche about it. Believe me, we ALL know your position and feelings on the matter. And how could we not? You're always Johnny-on-the-spot with your special brand of sunshine. In fact, I only know your name because of your posts about Steam/Source - frankly I can't recall seeing you comment anywhere else, though I'm sure you have.

So for my own sake (and that of others of like mind), please stop with the one-note bell ringing.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheComrade View Post
            Can I download the Steam Client for Linux somewhere? No? Has Valve announced when it'll be available? No? Can I download their Source games for Linux? No?

Oh, I'm sure they're working on something at Valve involving Linux (that's all Newell says in the aforementioned podcast). But as long as you can't acquire said something, it's not worth losing any more words about it. At this point it's just as good as vaporware. If it's not released, it doesn't exist.
            I'm well aware of all that. It'll get here when it gets here. It's just nice to see good news from Valve.

Until then, please don't join the ranks of the killjoy, tin foil hat crowd here on Phoronix. Believe me, they're full-up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
              Maybe a SteamMac box: http://kotaku.com/5901821/did-tim-co...ell-meet-today Stay awaaaay!
              That Mac rumor appears to be false. I'm glad the Linux news is still coming.
              Apple CEO Tim Cook and Valve head Gabe Newell did not actually meet last week as rumored, according to a new podcast interview with Newell.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbelvin View Post
                That Mac rumor appears to be false. I'm glad the Linux news is still coming.
                http://kotaku.com/5903555/gabe-newel...g-didnt-happen
                We don't even know that, really. For all we know, they could just be working on a render farm or something.

Comment

• Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                  X