No announcement yet.

A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ich habe deutsch in der schule gelernt aber es ist ganz schwer zu schreiben aufs deutsch.
    ich verstehe besser als ich rede.

english ist auch nicht mein muttersprache.

anyhow....back to topic maybe?

Does Michael have any new information or we all have to wait until 28th of april?

Comment

• I actually understood some of that due to similarities between German and my native language Faroese. You have learned German in school and English is not your native language(mothertounge in English or m??ursm?l in Faroese).
      Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 04 April 2012, 07:20 AM. Reason: Corrected mistakes added by my phones autocorrect.

Comment

• My grandfather fought against NAZI Germany so his son and his grandchildren wouldn't be forced to learn German.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          My grandfather fought against NAZI Germany so his son and his grandchildren wouldn't be forced to learn German.
          Why bring up Nazis?

I suspect there were other reasons he fought the Nazis, I can't imagine him saying "Well the persecution of the jews and homosexuals is just dandy, but our children must NOT be forced to learn German!" :-)
          Last edited by archibald; 04 April 2012, 08:31 AM. Reason: added a smiley to clarify the tone

Comment

• Once again this thread shows the universality of Godwin's law.
            Let's get back on topic - or, even better, Michael comes up with new
            information from Valve/Gabe/SoL, so we can start a sane thread from scatch.

Comment

• Apologies for the Godwin-failure :-)

My thoughts on Michael's news are: hurrah! The worst case is that Valve will make their code more portable (and probably find some bugs) as a result. The best case is that they release Steam and Left 4 Dead for Linux. Either way, I don't see any way that this can be construed as bad news.

Also, Gabe Newell must have the patience of a saint (if I ever meet the man I would like to buy him a large quantity of beer).

Comment

• In no way this is bad news, why should it be?

At least we now know that VALVE has something in the works.
                Ok, *I* am convinced now, despite the sceptics out there.
                On the other hand, until there is an official announcement it may
                still be possible that they *simply* drop the effort.
                Be it due to technical reasons or economical considerations, whatever.
                For instance, IIRC, Blizzard had an working inhouse WoW Linux client
                but decided against a release.

If this really comes to life I hope it won't turn out as a straightforward WINELIB thing.

Comment

• Hienoa, ett? palasimme alkuper?isaiheeseen.
                  It's great that we returned to the original topic.
                  (Sorry, had to participate in this silliness.)

If it were a Winelib thing, it would've performed better on nVidia cards ;D

Comment

• Originally posted by meklu View Post
                    If it were a Winelib thing, it would've performed better on nVidia cards ;D
                    Not sure if this is necessarily true.
                    I guess you're referring to Source games running fast on Wine using the proprietary nvidia drivers?
                    To my knowledge, Winelib is to Windows->Linux what Cygwin is to POSIX->Windows, i.e. API compatibility
                    instead of WINE's ABI compatibility.
                    Hence, I'm not sure if performance is comparable.

I might be completely wrong though... :/

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      If this really comes to life I hope it won't turn out as a straightforward WINELIB thing.
                      Of course it'd be nicer if it was using native stuff. But hey - even if they do a winelib thing - at least we get some sort of support then. They fix bugs (and maybe even contribute to wine) instead of they break it and wine has to fix it or we have to use strange workarounds. They'd probably even test changes and updates before releasing them. Yaaay.

That'd be so much better than what happened with EVE and their new launcher lately - every update broke something. And they even had a linux client once.

Comment

Working...
                      X