Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kirurgs View Post
    Hi!

I know Russian very well and there is such thing as "mat language" (I speak fluent Russian and Mat ). It's very commonly used, even here (ex Russia).
    On the other hand Russian has very very rich language, every single thing has it's own name. Me, knowing Russian very well, I'm still confused reading some Russian classic books as there are many phrases which only Russians can understand fully.

About the Mat ("мать") language, well I think a lot of nations have heard about it and a lot of people from different parts of the world know many of words of that language (well not really a language, but subsection of Russian )

regards
    Kirurgs
    Whoa, I have to disagree with Kirurgs here.

Mat is a tabooed slang. I really hope he is not talking mat to his relatives, parents, children.

What makes it interesting is that it is derived from a few obscene expressions, about half-dozen noun. Employing the Russian prefix and suffix system it forms a simple context dependent language. The movie "Red Heat" has got a few mat lines.

It is used prevalently by male groups, especially in military and criminal circles and to some degree by young adults due to its taboo status.

But yeah, pretty much every grown up Russian understands mat.

Comment

• How the f*** did this thread turn from "possibility of steam for linux" into "Championship of the world greatest German grammar nazis"??

Were you invited or did you invite yourself? =P

Comment

• Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        How the f*** did this thread turn from "possibility of steam for linux" into "Championship of the world greatest German grammar nazis"??

Were you invited or did you invite yourself? =P
        Good question actually.

Maybe he's just up to something like this

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
          also in german you have to pin your supject "in DASS" means the target is bier museum.
          [...]
          and yes die Deutsche Sprache ist eine schwere Sprache! (German language is a hard language)
          almost right, but in this context "das" is an article and as such only has one s. German is a hard language indeed

--

Also this sounds exciting. Let's hope this is for real
          Last edited by TripChoco; 03 April 2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            How the f*** did this thread turn from "possibility of steam for linux" into "Championship of the world greatest German grammar nazis"??
            Well, I usually don't care about that grammar stuff at all. I just did post this (after some thinking if I should), because apparently Michael learns German. Therefor I thought it'd be valuable for him to have a correct sentence at least. Didn't want to go any further into this topic (err, what am I doing here ?), sorry for the noise.

Originally posted by TripChoco View Post
            almost right, but in this context "das" is an article and as such only has one s. German is a hard language indeed
            Epic.

Comment

• We could actually delve much deeper into that here, starting with 'dass' and 'das' being pronounced the exact same way, which is quite possibly the biggest hurdle for non native speakers. Then, combined with them often being used in a confusingly similar position (where English uses 'that' for both, although 'that' for 'das' was considered at least when I was at school non standard for 'which', and I still frown on people using it like that), there's a lot of room for confusion, especially for native English speakers.

Comment

• German language course 101

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    German language course 101

Haha, that fits it perfectly =P

Comment

• German das/dass can't be more confusing than their/there/they're and similar constructs in english, but yeah even germans struggle with it sometimes (especially since we didn't learn the grammatic rules, we just learned it by speaking it -- so in a way non-natives have an advantage)

Comment

Working...
                      X