Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You're Lucky, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Can Boot Faster

Phoronix: If You're Lucky, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Can Boot Faster

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" can boot faster... sometimes. If you are not lucky, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS can boot more than twice as slow as Ubuntu 10.04, the previous LTS release. Here are boot performance results of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS running on six distinct notebooks and comparing the Bootchart results upon clean installations of Ubuntu Linux going back as far as six years from the days of the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Disable swap in /etc/fstab and you will get 5-6 boottime with ssd.

Comment

What's the problem with swap? It doesn't even use it during the boot...
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It's not that it uses swap during the boot, the problem is that it has to initialize the swap which is what takes the extra time.

The two biggest things to decrease your boot times would be to make swap much smaller, e.g. 256 MB's (or just get rid of it altogether, I myself have noticed no problems removing it) and build all the modules you need into your kernel so you do not need the "initrd" part of booting. With these steps you could cut your boot in half sometimes.

like here...

Comment

Are you saying that

a) U is stupid and runs mkswap every boot
          or
          b) swapon on a SSD is somehow really slow?

Comment

curaga

Are you saying that

a) U is stupid and runs mkswap every boot
            or
            b) swapon on a SSD is somehow really slow?
            I honestly have no idea except that Micheal could do some benchmarks and post whatever results he finds

Comment

Systemd?

SystemD is the way to go for a faster boot

Comment

Not to boot is the fastest way to boot. Suspend works just fine here, having the system up and running in the previous state in less than 2 seconds.
                Seriously, who cares about boot times? How often do you boot that it really matters?

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                  Seriously, who cares about boot times? How often do you boot that it really matters?
                  Every time there is a critical security update to the Kernel or glibc, which seems to happen at least once a month.

-= Stefan

Comment

Working...
                  X