Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-ati 6.14.4 Has New Features

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 6.14.4 Has New Features

AMD has released the xf86-video-ati 6.14.4 X.Org driver, which brings a few new features to their DDX component...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For clarity on the audio side, we looked at rewriting Alex's code in a way that we could release it, but given the progress that Rafel had made it seemed like we would largely be duplicating his work so getting the correct register info out there then helping to integrate it seemed like the best approach.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
      The R100/R200 hardware finally handles KMS tiling, although the old hardware support should just die.
      Well, there's an inflammatory comment, especially considering the popularity of these chip sets on still commonly used if albeit older laptops.

Still, maybe that is because I still love my old R200 cards myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        Well, there's an inflammatory comment, especially considering the popularity of these chip sets on still commonly used if albeit older laptops.

Well, unfortunately, you are going to find that those cards are going to get rapidly less useful. The R200 only support accelerating fixed function OpenGL 1.x. You can run OpenGL 2.x stuff on them, in theory, but it's going to use software to do it mostly.

The minimal is soon to be OpenGL ES, which is effectively a reduced OpenGL 2.x

Comment

Thanks for the work on R200, it's very appreciated! Some time ago I started a thread called "Please, some R200 love!", and this is what I was hoping for. Will do some testing as soon as I go on holiday (where I have my R200 box).

Comment

Could someone specify what does KMS tiling mean in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              For clarity on the audio side, we looked at rewriting Alex's code in a way that we could release it, but given the progress that Rafel had made it seemed like we would largely be duplicating his work so getting the correct register info out there then helping to integrate it seemed like the best approach.
              Wow, it is pretty amazing that a big company is "backing off" a feature because an individual is already working on it.
              I am pretty amazed at where we are.
              (Just in case, I do not mean that in any bad way)

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post

Ditto...my trusty old IBM Thinkpad T42 has the R100 chip and I still want to use it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Could someone specify what does KMS tiling mean in this case?
                  I'm not sure if it is 1D or 2D tiling, but the old user mode drivers could do it and that functionality was lost during the port to KMS. So this should bring the drivers performance back up near the old UMS level.

Comment

it broke my archlinux...X just freezes at startup now...

Comment

Working...
                    X