Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 12.3 For Linux Officially Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 12.3 For Linux Officially Released

AMD has officially released Catalyst 12.3 for Linux as its March 2012 update for those relying upon this binary graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the 4th (!!!) driver in a row that sucks with my hd 5670. can't somebody at amd fix the rendering issues with that card? i did not test xvba but most likely it is broken as well. What i test is really easy to install:

The first test already does not render correctly. Last time the rendering issues (test 3/4) needed 11 month to fix, do i have to wait this time again 11 month?

Comment

What is the most recent Kernel this works with?

Comment

Broken Record

Michale just copies and pastes this text for every catalyst release with the only change being a bump to the version number:

"Catalyst 12.3 isn't too interesting in terms of features or bug-fixes, and it doesn't have X.Org Server 1.12 support."

That's why I still use Nvidia... not because the cards are necessarily better, but because Nvidia actually puts forth at least a modicum of effort on developing drivers.

Comment

"Catalyst 12.3 isn't too interesting in terms of features or bug-fixes, and it doesn't have X.Org Server 1.12 support."

no issue for me, I just use the open Radeon driver then. If it would matter, I would just switch to CentOS, a Ubuntu based distro or openSUSE where AMD's proprietary driver is almost always supported, if a stable distro release is used.

IMHO it's good enough if Catalyst 12.4 brings support for this X.Org Server version. Maybe I would think different, if I knew that X.Org Server 1.12 has important new features or fixes compared to 1.11.

Comment

[QUOTE=chuckula;256190]Michale just copies and pastes this text for every catalyst release with the only change being a bump to the version number:

Lol yea. It's the monthly appointment one can't miss!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              Michale just copies and pastes this text for every catalyst release with the only change being a bump to the version number:

That's why I still use Nvidia... not because the cards are necessarily better, but because Nvidia actually puts forth at least a modicum of effort on developing drivers.
              I'd suggest something like.

"Catalyst 12.3 is out and includes some exciting new bugs, no new features, and still doesn't support the current stable X server."

Comment

AMD continues to disappoint

doesn't have X.Org Server 1.12 support.
                Keeps on disappointing.

I am glad I chose Nvidia instead of AMD.

Comment

How long until we have a working Catalyst with KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1 (i.e. the new KWin drawing code)? And does this Catalyst work properly with X.org 1.11?
                  Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 28 March 2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                    I'd suggest something like.

"Catalyst 12.3 is out and includes some exciting new bugs, no new features, and still doesn't support the current stable X server."
                    @Michael I think this comment is more true than yours. Can you please start using it in the future Catalyst for Linux news? Because of this truth I dropped some time ago all Radeons and buy only Intel/Nvidia and recommend them to others. Maybe Radeon is similar or equally good hardware when compared to Intel or Nvidia but who cares if these features are not exposed by driver to the user and Operating System. The hardware is as good as its drivers - I do not remember who wrote this but this opened my eyes as hardware buyer and I always follow this.
                    Last edited by zbiggy; 28 March 2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X