Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 KVM/Xen Virtualization: Intel vs. AMD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,599

    Default Ubuntu 12.04 KVM/Xen Virtualization: Intel vs. AMD

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 KVM/Xen Virtualization: Intel vs. AMD

    With the upcoming availability of Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise Pangolin" being a Long-Term Support (LTS) release that will be quickly making its way into many enterprise environments, here's a look at the virtualization performance of this popular Linux distribution. In particular, being looked at is the Linux virtualization performance of KVM, Xen, and Oracle VirtualBox compared to bare metal when using Intel Sandy Bridge Extreme and AMD Bulldozer hardware.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17200

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    I've mostly used VirtualBox because it is easy-to-use.
    But from this benchmark it seems KVM is superior.

    Is KVM difficult to use?
    Does it provide any graphics acceleration?
    How should I use KVM in a easy way?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Is KVM difficult to use?
    Does it provide any graphics acceleration?
    How should I use KVM in a easy way?
    KVM is not very difficult to use. There are lots of HOWTO's out there that guide you through the process.

    But for occasional use, virtualbox is still easier.

    It might be interesting to include LXC Linux containers in the virtualization tests. It should be a lot lighter then KVM or Xen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1

    Question How were the virtual machine disks configured?

    Thanks for very informative article.
    In my experience with KVM, there is a difference between running a guest VM from an image file on host OS file system and running it from a partition on a separate disk. Using a virtio drivers should further improve the performance as well.
    So I'd like to ask how were the disks configured for the virtual machines in the tests?

    Tomas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    cool article, too bad xen didn't work on amd. i was pretty surprised to see how well amd scaled, i guess it shows how their faster clock cycles and/or physical instead of multi-threaded cores makes a difference.

    i'm also shocked to see how poorly virtualbox performed and how good xen performed. i'd have used xen a long time ago if it were easier to use. i'm surprised nobody made a graphical tool for it yet. i'd gladly do it if i knew how to use it better.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    i'm also shocked to see how poorly virtualbox performed and how good xen performed. i'd have used xen a long time ago if it were easier to use. i'm surprised nobody made a graphical tool for it yet. i'd gladly do it if i knew how to use it better.
    Xen works with virt-manager.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomaszbox View Post
    Thanks for very informative article.
    In my experience with KVM, there is a difference between running a guest VM from an image file on host OS file system and running it from a partition on a separate disk. Using a virtio drivers should further improve the performance as well.
    So I'd like to ask how were the disks configured for the virtual machines in the tests?

    Tomas
    Standard disk image on the host using virt-manager defaults.

  8. #8

    Default virtio

    are you sure you installed virtio for KVM. I find it hard to believe that KVM would perform so poorly on the Threaded IO benchmark

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Perhaps this partially explains the poor Sandy Bridge E showing in VirtualBox, assuming you have a C1 stepping chip.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    120

    Default opengl games tests at MS WOS with XEN VGA passthrought

    I would like to read some opengl games tests
    at MS WOS with XEN VGA passthrought

    I think some day, and perhaps today it will be safer and faster to run MS WOS with Xen VGA passthrought at MS WOS desktops.

    Even you can play directx or opengl games without antivirus and better 3dmarks at a SOHO computer.

    But I never can read some tests for this tech - that allows to use native proprietary drivers for the GPU card. -.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •