Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nzjrs View Post
    Cool story bro.
    It's true. Evolution is probably the least HIG-compliant GNOME application they have just because it's hauling around so much useless "groupware" crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Is there going to be a taskbar again?
      Just flip the switch on the extension website:

Comment

• No On-screen Task Management
        • No Functional Desktop
        • No Minimize/Maximize

Did they fix these fundamental issues? No? Then it is still a big fail.

Gnome developers should take a look at this and this and this reviews.
        Last edited by zoomblab; 27 March 2012, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I use Gnome 3.x with Fedora 16 on my netbook and it's OK. You can control most with the keyboard like switching workspaces (which are created on demand), closing windows or opening this search/start applications (similar to KDE netbook).

However, KDE has the option to set kwin as a tiling window manager, which I totally miss in Gnome and is essential on netbooks with a small display. I hate using that tiny touchpad or always carry a mouse with me.

So, when does Gnome come up with tiling?

//edit: or at least automatically start every application maximized?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
            • No On-screen Task Management
            • No Functional Desktop
            • No Minimize/Maximize
            You live in the past. But extensions will help you.
            Last edited by 0xCAFE; 27 March 2012, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
              So, when does Gnome come up with tiling?

Last edited by 0xCAFE; 27 March 2012, 04:31 AM.

Comment

cool, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                  You live in the past. But extensions will help you.
                  Most likely Gnome developers live in a different distorted dimmension from the rest or the world. Worse they believe they can fold space and time and bring the world into their dimmension. Thankfully that won't happen. They have not power to influence UI paradigms.
                  Last edited by zoomblab; 27 March 2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Actual that is genius with the extensions, reminds me a little of MMORPGs GUIs

Comment

Originally posted by fersla View Post
                      I personally consider this a feature, not a bug. It fits perfectly into my workflow where I always need certain windows open, no matter what workspace I'm on.

To enable workspaces on your second monitor, open gconf-editor and modify the key /desktop/gnome/shell/windows/workspaces_only_on_primary

I believe one of the goals for Gnome 3.4 was to expose more options (such as this one) under System Settings.
                      Having a setting seems about the best way to handle it. Personally, I prefer the Shell's current default on this. Actually, the Shell was my most pleasant experience with the conventional two headed xrandr setup as a task bar always seemed kind of hokey in this configuration and being able to view all of my windows in an active on screen overview helped keep things organized.

That being said, because I game so much and I actually prefer the two heads to be completely separate, I am currently using Zaphod Mode which makes Gnome 3 hurl. So I am using Xfce for the moment. I would appreciate a similar write up of its features when the next new release comes out by the way Michael.

Comment

Working...
                      X