Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Features Of GNOME 3.4

Hybrid View

Default Interesting Features Of GNOME 3.4

Phoronix: Interesting Features Of GNOME 3.4

GNOME 3.4, the latest major update to the GNOME3 desktop, is set to be officially released on Wednesday. Here's a look at some of the most interesting features of this biannual GNOME update...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA3NzQ

I'm looking forward to multi-monitor actually working correctly. With current Gnome they treat the second monitor as static and switching desktops becomes useless because the second monitor isn't switched. I'd also like to see Empathy actually working with my Yahoo Messenger account although not having it work for six months has been a bit of a blessing.

Is there going to be a taskbar again? I know Mint has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Is there going to be a taskbar again? I know Mint has it.
    Not unless they merge Cinnamon into gnome-shell, which is extremely unlikely.

Although I'm sure it wouldn't be very hard to get Cinnamon running properly with the GNOME 3.4 stack. Cinnamon is designed from the ground up to integrate extremely well with existing Gnome 3 software, and it depends on a lot of Gnome 3 dependencies. Its primary advantage is that it offers a completely different user experience (one that many of us can relate to) compared to Gnome Shell.

Since I haven't heard any serious discussions about making Cinnamon an official Gnome project, I would say that they won't have a "taskbar" as you are envisioning it.

Thumbs down

Interesting features of Seamonkey 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Interesting features of Seamonkey 3.
    It's just like Firefox except less stupid. Why bring up Seamonkey in a GNOME thread though?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Is there going to be a taskbar again?
    Just flip the switch on the extension website:
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/25/window-list/

Quote Originally Posted by grotgrot View Post
    With current Gnome they treat the second monitor as static and switching desktops becomes useless because the second monitor isn't switched.
    I personally consider this a feature, not a bug. It fits perfectly into my workflow where I always need certain windows open, no matter what workspace I'm on.

To enable workspaces on your second monitor, open gconf-editor and modify the key /desktop/gnome/shell/windows/workspaces_only_on_primary

I believe one of the goals for Gnome 3.4 was to expose more options (such as this one) under System Settings.

- Evolution mail client enhancements. (Although I still personally find it horrific compared to Mozilla Thunderbird in most aspects.)
    Cool story bro.

if only the fglrx driver would finally support Gnome 3 and would get rid of the performance regressions...that would be so cool. *sigh*