Btrfs & Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    They just don't believe that an O.S. officially ranked at something like 1% of market share could ever bring them a single additionnal penny of operating result.
    5%. Very motivated 5%, if Humble Bundles are anything to go by.

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Three windows replacements (as in removal) on desktops this year. Linux is already on desktops (not just "ready for") for 4-5 years.
    I don't understand this "when will linux be on desktop" thing, it is already.
    Woah, exactly the same thing here. Honestly, it's a rather good time for Linux on desktops - mainstream users are now realising that using their 10 year old Windows XPs is a pretty poor idea, and since they have to transition to something else, they might as well try out Linux before buying the latest Windows. To be fair, the learning curve between WinXP and Linux is not that much bigger than between WinXP and Win7.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      I would applaud the hell out of it. RAM nothing but disc cache, so why don't we... you know... fill it?

Do you know how idiotic the following sounds?:
      "OMG Imagine if Linux would toaly fill up the entire L3 cache of the latest i7?!!?!?! OMFG"

So how retarted is it that Linux/Windows/whatever does not fill up the RAM?
      Actually Linux does already cache the filesystem into the RAM... as does Windows...

See here http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Actually Linux does already cache the filesystem into the RAM... as does Windows...

See here http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
        Yeah I know and Linux has been doing this for ages. However, I have 8GB of RAM (and this computer is now about 5 damn years old) and still with preload, full blown KDE, loads of apps, documents, photo's, movies, VM images... it only uses about 2-2,5GB

Now I understand that completely caching more than one movie is a problem, but with semantics this RAM caching could be a lot smarter. For example caching the latest downloaded movie at times I frequently watch movies for example. Or maybe the last three opened documents...

Comment

Wasn't this article, like, supposed to be published next Sunday? Get your timing straight, phoronix...

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
            They just don't believe that an O.S. officially ranked at something like 1% of market share could ever bring them a single additionnal penny of operating result.
            They just do see additionnal developping costs, additionnal testing, some code redesigning as they probably have designed the entire game to run for DirectX.
            Then why there's steam on os x while os x doesn't support directx? It must be about politics, nothing more. Bring steam to Linux and it will eat os x for breakfast. Argument like it's hard to support Linux, because there's too much distributions is a bull. Nobody forces them to support entire Linux and it's enough to focus on Ubuntu (even on LTS, so 5 years without problems). Another argument regarding problems with graphic drivers is another bull. Proprietary drivers are better on Linux than os x for playing games and you're not even limited to OpenGL 3.2. Politics, that's all.

Comment

Working...
            X