Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Radeon Gallium3D Still Long Shot From Catalyst

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    You mean top-GPU in 8xxx series? Or something beyond?
    Correct, assuming we stay with the HD <gen>xxx model. Sea Islands and the 2013 APUs on the latest roadmap :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5491/a...admap-revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i don't care about intel shit in an AMD tropic. the solution is easy just put the intel shit into the garbage. we need a AMD/VLIW compiler ! and not a intel JOKE. the intel compiler is not VLIW ! you only get 1/5 of the speed with amd hardware this is just an FUD attack from intel on AMD!
    Q, the GLSL compiler is up in the Mesa common layer and is used by all GPU hardware, not just Intel. It takes GLSL (and GL assembler IIRC), converts it to GLSL IR, which is then optionally converted to TGSI or Mesa IR if that's what the hardware driver accepts (radeon and nouveau take TGSI since they use a Gallium3D layer).

The IR passed down uses short vectors for pixel and coordinate data, which can be converted efficiently to VLIW in the hardware layer. Scalar variables in the GLSL program are passed down to the hardware layer as scalars, and that's where VLIW hardware needs a fancier compiler in the HW driver layer to maximize efficiency.

Anyways, it's in no way an "Intel compiler", except to the extent that the Intel devs were nice enough to take on the task of writing it.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-25-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Q, the GLSL compiler is used by all hardware, not just Intel. It takes GLSL (and GL assembler IIRC), converts it to GLSL IR, which is then optionally converted to TGSI or Mesa IR if that's what the hardware driver accepts (radeon and nouveau take TGSI since they use a Gallium3D layer).

The IR passed down uses short vectors for pixel and coordinate data, which can be converted efficiently to VLIW in the hardware layer.

Anyways, it's in no way an "Intel compiler", except to the extent that the Intel devs were nice enough to take on the task of writing it.
    its sooooo simple: if c++ is a no go for the kernel then you have to rewrite it to push ALL the graphic stuff into the kernel.

sure the other way is: give a fuck about linux(opensource) and spend all the "linux" money on closed source "Android"

in my point of view android is just another excuse to not support linux on "Desktop"

next time microsoft start there own linux version with directX and FUD and then they hurt linux from the inside.. LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    its sooooo simple: if c++ is a no go for the kernel then you have to rewrite it to push ALL the graphic stuff into the kernel.

sure the other way is: give a fuck about linux(opensource) and spend all the "linux" money on closed source "Android"

in my point of view android is just another excuse to not support linux on "Desktop"

next time microsoft start there own linux version with directX and FUD and then they hurt linux from the inside.. LOL...
    Step back a minute... with every response you make the work required to move userspace drivers into the kernel is going up, but the benefits are staying the same (or going down because of the diversion of existing developers). This isn't looking good.

The term "give a f*ck" in English actually means "caring", I think the term you're looking for is "don't give a f*ck".

You're confusing me with the "Android is an excuse" comment. 30 posts ago you said that Android was Linux and therefore its market share should be counted as Linux. Now you're saying that working on Android is just an excuse not to support Linux on the desktop ?

I don't understand the MS comment.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-25-2012 at 08:52 PM.

We have also recently added two experienced developers (three actually, but since one was replacing Richard I'm only counting two) who IMO are and will be as productive or more over the next year or so than a half dozen developers hired and brought up to speed on the job. Just a thought...
    Out of curiosity, did you guys consider to make something like GSoC for developing some features of the driver? IMO it's very interesting idea to pay a developer to improve, e.g., power management.

Step back a minute... with every response you make the work required to move userspace drivers into the kernel is going up, but the benefits are staying the same (or going down because of the diversion of existing developers). This isn't looking good.

The term "give a f*ck" in English actually means "caring", I think the term you're looking for is "don't give a f*ck".

You're confusing me with the "Android is an excuse" comment. 30 posts ago you said that Android was Linux and therefore its market share should be counted as Linux. Now you're saying that working on Android is just an excuse not to support Linux on the desktop ?

well yes I learn English here... "you don't give a fuck"
    thank you very much for the lesson.

its funny english people write all "Positive" and germans write all "negativ"
    "einen scheiß drauf geben" scheiß(shit)=negativ fuck=positiv....
    but you can translate the scheiße=fuck...
    the germans use the word scheiße in the same way the englishe people use fuck but germans mean all thinks in the negativ way and english in the positive LOL
    because of this my english fail LOL
    *Disclaimer I’m a German if i write something then its negative in meaning*
    Germans reverse the negative if they wany say something good "das ist kein scheiß"

You're confusing me with the "Android is an excuse" comment.
    its just a multiple viewpoint. if the driver is IN the kernel then its Linux if the driver is outside of the kernel and intentionally Incompatible to the Linux desktop then it isn't Linux then its a incompatible "Forg"

in my point of view forg the linux kernel in a incompatible way is just stupid because of burning energy on 2 same products its much more cost efficiency if there is no forge.

and the "excuse" comes if the "companys" don't want make it compatible if they think incompatible double-work is better/cheaper THIS IS A EXCUSE!

its a lesson from the war teaching book keep your friends close and your enemy closer.

microsoft work together with "Suse/Novel" to hurt the "Linux market" and the enemy is red-hat.

next step for microsoft is making there own incompatible linux like andorid and pushing directX with linux kernel.

its also a lesson from the war teaching book : if you can't destroy your enemy join them and hurt them from the inner side,
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 03-25-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Sigh, another thread going down the drain.

mats88, bridgman please don't feed the troll, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakot View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you guys consider to make something like GSoC for developing some features of the driver? IMO it's very interesting idea to pay a developer to improve, e.g., power management.
    I will support GSoc for Radeons too.

Click on his name on the left side, then click on "Ignore". The result will be something that resembles a linux related web-forum.

No need to thank me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakot View Post
    Anyone is welcome to submit any idea as a GSOC or xorg EVOC project. As long as the proposal is well thought out and covers a reasonable amount of work, in most cases it will be accepted.

While GSoC is useful,unfortunately there seems to be a bunch of unfinished projects/tasks or unimplemented features happening with it. As the owner of much AMD/ATI tech over the years (Windows and Linux), drivers have always been an issue. I can't help but watch kickstart helping get games off the ground (Wasteland 2) and not get the idea that Linux users have deep pockets when it comes to getting something for their beloved OS. I would love to donate to bring up the quality of the binary and oss drivers to Linux/BSD. As a dedicated Linux user I continue to buy AMD recently a A83870k so don't make me sorry for supporting you!