Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 "Kepler" On Linux?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Can you try the vdpau testing tool on the gtx680?

    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133465

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arbition View Post
    I didn't notice any mention of this, but can all four displays be used at the same time? I'd love to ditch my multi card hack that I am running at the moment. Even better is if it works with nouveau with all screens.
    Yep, that's the point of having four CRTCs. You should be able to drive 4 screens with one card, if you find one with suitable connectors.

    I don't think anyone tested 4 screens with nouveau yet, but it may even work as the preparations for this are in the kernel for some time. But please don't pin me on this one.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
    So the 7970 is probably faster than the GTX 680 with this driver set. Interesting!
    It largely depends on the workload. In some benchmarks from this article, the 680 is the winner, in others the 7970 end up first.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxeye View Post
    Yep, that's the point of having four CRTCs. You should be able to drive 4 screens with one card, if you find one with suitable connectors.

    I don't think anyone tested 4 screens with nouveau yet, but it may even work as the preparations for this are in the kernel for some time. But please don't pin me on this one.
    The patch for 4 screen support came pre-release, well disguised: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/...8501e2dbe00a3d
    It's probably not yet tested much but IIRC (also don't pin me on this one) the devs thought it works.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    It largely depends on the workload. In some benchmarks from this article, the 680 is the winner, in others the 7970 end up first.
    The article did not compare with HD7970, but rather with HD7950.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    You're right. But keep in mind that this 7950 is OC'd. The results without OC are also shown however as "800-1250". It's possible that the driver still has to be optimized for the 680.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d.a.a. View Post
    What kind of problem? JuliaGPU and SmallPt run without problems on my HD7970/HD6970 GPUs (I'm running Debian GNU/Linux, fglrx 12-3).

    Also, I would like to see some OpenCL double-precision float point benchmarks, as this type of workload is very important for scientific computation.
    Yeah, what kind of problem? None of the other magazine's benchmarking (anandtech, toms hardware, etc) had any problem with opencl apart from on the 680. And when it did run it was generally quite abysmal. e.g. where's the ray tracer test?

    NVIDIA, on the other hand, usually always has great OpenCL/CUDA SDK support in place for Linux.
    That comment alone is totally suss because nvidia's opencl support on consumer hardware is terrible on any platform.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Why would you use a GTX 680 on a Linux OS? Surely its a waste since only Windows could really benefit from its full performance. Talking about gaming and general 3D acceleration. No Linux software could possibly make use of a GTX 680 unless its running wine and brute forcing past the slow performance.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    That's correct, basically you don't need so much speed for native linux games. If you want much more performance for boinc and similar tools this can be different. Nobody has got something against a dual/multiboot system to play some games on another window os dx performance is not optimal when you use wine. opengl however is very fast using wine but there are not many games which use it.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    That's correct, basically you don't need so much speed for native linux games. If you want much more performance for boinc and similar tools this can be different. Nobody has got something against a dual/multiboot system to play some games on another window os dx performance is not optimal when you use wine. opengl however is very fast using wine but there are not many games which use it.
    there are nativ linux games with unlimited need of speed but these games are not in the phoronix test-

    TA-Spring for example you can burn every hardware with that game!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •