Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Turns 25 Years Old, GCC 4.7 Released

Phoronix: GCC Turns 25 Years Old, GCC 4.7 Released

Richard Guenther of SUSE on behalf of the GNU Compiler Collection development community has announced the official release of GCC 4.7.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yep, Open Source is always a step behind(or more)

Visual Studio C++ has FULL support for C++11 since SEPTEMBER! 2011... A link for demonstration
    Also, when I hear about the open source hack days, when people get together for 1-2 days and write a lot of new stuff, new features based on what the users are comunicating to them(for example Krita, designers told them what they would love to see implemented(in their meeting with the developers) and they just implemented in a few days). Imagine now that this guys would of get paid to come on a daily basis and do this kind of things like it happens in the big companies like: Microsoft, Apple, Intel... Open Source model works but the development and progress is so slow. Almost all the inventions are happening in the paid environment and then the open source world just copies/implement them..

Comment

That link talks about "complete ISO C++11 standard library" and "several more ISO C++11 language features" (emphasis mine). Microsoft are still long ways from C99, let alone your claimed "FULL support for C++11".

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
        Visual Studio C++ has FULL support for C++11 since SEPTEMBER! 2011... A link for demonstration
        Also, when I hear about the open source hack days, when people get together for 1-2 days and write a lot of new stuff, new features based on what the users are comunicating to them(for example Krita, designers told them what they would love to see implemented(in their meeting with the developers) and they just implemented in a few days). Imagine now that this guys would of get paid to come on a daily basis and do this kind of things like it happens in the big companies like: Microsoft, Apple, Intel... Open Source model works but the development and progress is so slow. Almost all the inventions are happening in the paid environment and then the open source world just copies/implement them..
        That was a beta. Have you gone back into git history to see what the status of C++11 support was in KDevelop in September? I'll bet at least portions were implemented in August, while you had NOTHING AT ALL from Microsoft and had no recourse except to wait on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
          Open Source is much more innovative today than everything else. Try to do something like Canonical did with Ubuntu and Android phones. Linux is far ahead of competition in many terms and it's developed much faster than any proprietary kernel or system. The same about KDE. You can only dream about KDE like applications coming from MS or Apple. They're years behind and only third party vendors saves them. However, you just don't know what are you talking about, because Open Source doesn't equal to not being paid. There are community projects and there are big players that are hiring developers which are being payed full time. Your example is totally stupid, because GCC beats visual studio in many terms! It seems you have no clue about reality.

Comment

"Open Source model works but the development and progress is so slow. Almost all the inventions are happening in the paid environment and then the open source world just copies/implement them.. "

thats why I have no hope that FOSS could survive on it's own. 99% of the features are, ahem, stolen, from proprietary companies. the bazaar model is an utter failure. the best projects are made by full time talented devs not thousands of kids writing LongPHPCodez. Even on colaborative stuff like the kernel most of added functionality could be implemented as an add-on to the "core" kernel. the only thing I can think of which is actually not a "I can do it too, clone" is x.org and vlc. here is a short list of ripoff projects that are far behind.

gimp
            inkscape
            officeoffice/libreoffice
            shotwell
            audacity
            KDEnlive
            gnu cash
            compiz (quartz and aero came first)
            crappy games with 1990 graphics

Comment

Working...
            X