Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Valley View: Atom SoC With Ivy Bridge Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Valley View: Atom SoC With Ivy Bridge Graphics

It's a very good week for open-source graphics drivers. Besides AMD releasing open-source support for Southern Islands and Trinity, Intel released the first bits of open-source Haswell support too. This afternoon, Intel has released open-source driver support for Valley View. Valley View is a CedarView-like Atom SoC, but rather than being crippled with PowerVR graphics, it has Ivy Bridge graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like the graphics guys might have accidentally spilt a codename and thus unofficially announcing a new ASIC I googled "Valley View" and "ValleyView" and couldn't find any news source publishing any information about a CedarView successor until this article. Not that I'm complaining, mind you Nice find!

Won't personally buy an Atom because I go with "full-fat" CPUs -- can't see myself using anything lighter than a low-voltage mobile CPU for a laptop, or a full-fat desktop CPU for a desktop. For phones I use ARM. Nonetheless it's good to see PowerVR losing market share. I hate those guys because they're so anti-open source.

Comment

I have contacted some of the more important international (and one German) tech blogs about it, directly referring and linking to this Phoronix article. Hopefully it'll turn some traffic to Michael.

Comment

The other reason this article is really good news is that it shows that the IGP graphics performance market is still very open-ended. A lot of vendors are trying to throw their best effort solution out there right now; no one has really established themselves as tops. The resulting intensive (and competitive == good) R&D going on at Intel, ATI, Nvidia and at ARM vendors will only result in better and better graphics performance crammed into consumer devices.

Competition is great, and it looks like Intel is finally trying to ramp up their IGP performance to answer the competition that's threatening their market share, whether it's AMD Fusion or Nvidia's Tegra. The resultant chips will have potential applications in everything from mainstream netbooks, to mid-sized laptops, to (portable) gaming consoles. You might even see an IGP normally associated with x86 chips (such as the Ivy Bridge graphics core) making a freak appearance in a smartphone or ARM tablet.

Personally I'm wondering when Intel is going to try and make a push to compete directly with ARM vendors for an x86 share of the smartphone market! That would be quite a sight to see, with Android on x86 as the operating system. Daaaang.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          Looks like the graphics guys might have accidentally spilt a codename and thus unofficially announcing a new ASIC I googled "Valley View" and "ValleyView" and couldn't find any news source publishing any information about a CedarView successor until this article. Not that I'm complaining, mind you Nice find!

Google search Intel Valleyview.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            Personally I'm wondering when Intel is going to try and make a push to compete directly with ARM vendors for an x86 share of the smartphone market! That would be quite a sight to see, with Android on x86 as the operating system. Daaaang.
            They're trying to do that now. Supposedly they have agreements with hardware manufacturers to come out with hardware this year. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5365/i...or-smartphones

Comment

Working...
            X