Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Esther: A Source Engine Game On Linux

Phoronix: Dear Esther: A Source Engine Game On Linux

You may have heard a few days ago that Dear Esther, a game built upon Valve's Source Engine, would be ported to Linux and released in the coming months. Well, here's more details about that Source-based game is getting to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's this cool Linux game that I like to play called, "Guess How Long Until Michael Gives Up On Linux Steam Port?"

Comment

Michael, if you really believe to your words about Steam and its Linux client please explain to everyone the reason and be sure to include all details! Otherwise just say "Hey folks, I need something to write about..you know how journalism is.."

Comment

How I missed one of these! This time it's for real, I just know it!!

Comment

Sounds like Winelib?

Comment

To be fair to Michael, he made no mention of Steam here. And he has not even mentioned it at all for the past six months.

As for Postal III, well, RWS has been having a rough time of it. Both Akella and Valve have been giving them some headaches.

We are still in their thoughts, as was demonstrated by the first rate treatment they gave us with the Postal Desura releases (including updated Linux binaries and some new support work), so hopefully something can be done in the future.

But as I said, they are having a rough time of it at the moment.
            Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 20 March 2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

nacl for dear esther ?

Probably a port to Nacl would be better (and a lot faster) than an "wine wrapper" ?

see postal hasnt even been ported and may never...

at least nacl games get ported really fast.

Updated on December 14th with the video of the event. Since we launched Native Client late last summer, our team has been working hard to m...

CNET Download provides free downloads for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices across all categories of software and apps, including security, utilities, games, video and browsers

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                To be fair to Michael, he made no mention of Steam here. And he has not even mentioned it at all for the past six months.

As for Postal III, well, RWS has been having a rough time of it. Both Akella and Valve have been giving them some headaches.

We are still in their thoughts, as was demonstrated by the first rate treatment they gave us with the Postal Desura releases (including updated Linux binaries and some new support work), so hopefully something can be done in the future.

But as I said, they are having a rough time of it at the moment.
                "Besides Dear Esther, another Source-powered game that was on its way to Linux was Postal III, but at the moment its state is uncertain. Valve's native Steam client for Linux is also still to be released. Below is the official trailer for Dear Esther."

It was only a joke. If it were me, I'd have stopped bringing it up long ago, hoping people might forget I'd said anything about it. I actually don't know one way or another whether or not they are working on or will release it, but he keeps on going even after all of this time. I guess in a way you have to admire his courage...or ability to get people to tell him off the record information...depending on how things turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  You don't read his tweets, do you^^?

Comment

I don't know what they mean by "wrapper." I wish Valve would just offer something like a native version of old WON for Linux, if they are so against fully supporting Steam on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X