Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 Picks Up New Features, Rejects Systemd-Journal

Phoronix: Fedora 18 Picks Up New Features, Rejects Systemd-Journal

There's still two months prior to the official Fedora 17 release -- Fedora 17 Beta isn't even out yet -- but besides coming up with a new codename, we have our first technical glimpse at new features to Fedora 18, which will be released by Red Hat and the community in Q4'2012...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to know that the Journal was rejected. We really don't need another logger, working **alongside** the main one, storing things in a random binary format and impossible to disable.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
      Glad to know that the Journal was rejected. We really don't need another logger, working **alongside** the main one, storing things in a random binary format and impossible to disable.
      Journal was not rejected.

This feature was rejected "Make Systemd Journal the new and only default syslog."

Phoronix legendary article quality...

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post

This feature was rejected "Make Systemd Journal the new and only default syslog."

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post

I believe that quote was used in the article, though, I admit, the article's conclusion was a bit ambiguous. Still, not that bad, and not a candidate, IMHO, for inclusion into the Phoronix Hall of Shame.

Comment

great. the buggiest distro is the universe has new features. i know i'm going to be pelted with rock from fedora fan boys but the truth needs to be said. fedora does not care about user experience or quality all they do is push new technologies for others to test.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              great. the buggiest distro is the universe has new features. i know i'm going to be pelted with rock from fedora fan boys but the truth needs to be said. fedora does not care about user experience or quality all they do is push new technologies for others to test.
              That is precisely the basis upon which Fedora was designed on: bleeding egde technologies which bleed the users more than anything else.

And if anything, the fact that the more ancient than ancient Fedora 10 distro (which i am still using as my primary OS) comes with libraries and tools that are recent enough to match other distro versions that were released at least 18 months later says a lot. And it has been rock solid stable for the past 4 years.

Comment

Michael

Michael, please stop posting pictures of beer and food.

Keep it tech.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  I've found Fedora to have far less bugs than Ubuntu, though I admit that when it comes to hardware drivers like printers, Ubuntu can be a little easier because it has more that work out of the box.

Comment

hmm, interesting. to me if you want to avoid bugs you are basically stuck with either debian stable, rhel or sles. everything else is basically bugs galore.

Comment

Working...
                    X