dce4 and displayport 3D and audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dce4 and displayport 3D and audio

I plan to buy the samsung S27A950D (3D at 1920x1080@120)

I wonder, if chips including a DCE4 can:
    - generate displayport 3D link data?
    - generate displayport audio?

For the displayport 3D data, I bet it deals with the crtc framebuffer programming and the digital encoder mode. For the crtc, how to do it since it is not atombios based? Is it related to the "secondary" surface registers?
    Then, I don't recall any mode for the encoder to enable building a 3D link data, anything about this which is supposely atombios based?

Displayport Audio?

You guys are quite quiet lately, are you working hard on GCN support?

Originally posted by sylware View Post
    I plan to buy the samsung S27A950D (3D at 1920x1080@120)

I wonder, if chips including a DCE4 can:
    - generate displayport 3D link data?
    - generate displayport audio?

For the displayport 3D data, I bet it deals with the crtc framebuffer programming and the digital encoder mode. For the crtc, how to do it since it is not atombios based? Is it related to the "secondary" surface registers?
    Then, I don't recall any mode for the encoder to enable building a 3D link data, anything about this which is supposely atombios based?

Displayport Audio?

You guys are quite quiet lately, are you working hard on GCN support?
    The secondary surface registers are for "classic" stereo (e.g., genlinked stereo on workstations, etc.), They aren't used for DP/HDMI 3D. AFAIR, DP 3D and audio work pretty much like HDMI (field alternating, frame packing, etc.):

DCE4 hardware can definitely do 3D HDMI, and I think it can do DP 3D, but I'd need to double check with the hw guys.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      DCE4 hardware can definitely do 3D HDMI, and I think it can do DP 3D, but I'd need to double check with the hw guys.
      Thx a lot. I wait for your feedback on that question.

Comment

For DCE4 and DP 3D it would depend on the monitor. I don't think any DP monitors support the 3D methods supported by DCE4 so probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          For DCE4 and DP 3D it would depend on the monitor. I don't think any DP monitors support the 3D methods supported by DCE4 so probably not.
          I don't understand, there is only two methods for 3D over DP: progressive video and interlaced video (see stereo video attribute in misc1 main stream data attribute).
          I'm not interested by interlaced video modes, so I would go for a monitor which does stereo on progressive video mode (I would check with the manufacturer first).

Then I only need the way to tell the crtc where are the stereo framebuffers (left and right), and to tell the digital encoder that the crtc will feed stereo data which should be encoded based on the DP progressive method.

I'm going to ask samsung about the DP 3D modes they support on that monitor.

Comment

Deciding on the 3D type and such is handled by the hdmi packets that go between the device and the monitor. Most 3D HDMI TVs support packed 3D in which the device sends the monitor a single large surface consisting of the left and the right frame, then the TV then cuts that into the left and right frames. As far as I know most DP monitors do not support this. As for how our display hardware sets up 3D, unfortunately, I can't really get into that right now.

Comment

Well, I asked samsung about their support of stereo DP stream on that monitor.
              Let's wait and see. It seems it is the only displayport 3D monitor (haven't looked deep on the internet though).

P.S. I'm not interested in HDMI, since it is not a worldwide royalty free standard.

Comment

damn!

Got a reply from samsung support: no 3D over displayport!

It seems that monitors with 3D support over displayport do *not* exist!!

Really, better go straight to external PCI-E with VESA interfaces for display devices.
                Why bother? (irony inside).

P.S. I asked VESA, but they prefer let the PCI-SIG define the interfaces for display devices (hope they will be *very* simple)
                More over, we are going to have optic fiber PHY this year.

Comment

Working...
                X