Whoops, There's A Big Problem For Wayland GTK+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That means those drivers just have to patch Wayland to interact with their own kernel drivers instead of the OSS APIs. That should be very simple to do, as Wayland handles that code very cleanly. Their drivers already have to heavily patch X to get it to work, so they just have to do the same thing to Wayland, but it will be much easier.
    They also require being able to access the graphics drivers and GL calls from outside of the GLX-based libGL API and via EGL.

I do not believe that the binary drivers offer any of that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      They also require being able to access the graphics drivers and GL calls from outside of the GLX-based libGL API and via EGL.

I thought every GL ES driver had EGL support in it, but i guess i could be wrong. EGL support is about more than just Wayland or linux, though, so i definitely think the binary drivers will want to support that eventually if they don't yet.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I thought every GL ES driver had EGL support in it, but i guess i could be wrong. EGL support is about more than just Wayland or linux, though, so i definitely think the binary drivers will want to support that eventually if they don't yet.
        http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...869#post254869

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Tegra has nothing todo with the Geforce cards. And they Support egl because tegra is there embedded gpu and kms is supported because the kernel module is GPL compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Tegra has nothing todo with the Geforce cards. And they Support egl because tegra is there embedded gpu and kms is supported because the kernel module is GPL compatible.
            Some people in this thread really believe that EGL and KMS never can be implemented in proprietary drivers. AMD embedded drivers and nVidia Tegra drivers is good living example that proof one simple fact - this is possible. So when Wayland will be ready - nVidia and AMD driver developers have no choice but implement needed functional in proprietary drivers for desktop and laptops GPU's.

Comment

Some people in this thread really believe that EGL and KMS never can be implemented in proprietary drivers.
              Maybe but this is not opinion. My post is only related to you tegra comment The tegra driver is different from the "nvidia" driver so you can't compare both drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                The tegra driver is different from the "nvidia" driver so you can't compare both drivers.
                I doesn't compare it, if you didn't notice.

Comment

Some people in this thread really believe that EGL and KMS never can be implemented in proprietary drivers. AMD embedded drivers and nVidia Tegra drivers is good living example that proof one simple fact - this is possible. So when Wayland will be ready - nVidia and AMD driver developers have no choice but implement needed functional in proprietary drivers for desktop and laptops GPU's.
                  I for one am not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I believe said companies won't be bothered to do so. As I said before, X isn't going anywhere for a while, binary blob primary targets being workstations, what is their incentive? Someone mentioned using wayland on a worksation is possible, I agree, but AFAIK most workstations use applications written for X, some of them proprietary. I'm not saying it won't happen, I just don't believe it will; but would however love to be proven wrong.
                  As for the not having any choice, I'm afraid they do have a choice : they can simply flip us off.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                    As for the not having any choice, I'm afraid they do have a choice : they can simply flip us off.
                    They doesn't have reasons to flip us off because all needed stuff is already written, they just need to port it from embedded drivers to desktop drivers.

Comment

They doesn't have reasons to flip us off because all needed stuff is already written, they just need to port it from embedded drivers to desktop drivers.
                      They do have reasons, the main one would be they must pay for that porting, and it's not focused to their main target.

Comment

Working...
                      X