Kubuntu 12.04 To Drop KDE Support For Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    DDG still has a long way to go with search relevancy and search features, but I trust Google about as much as I trust alphabet soup agencies.
    Why is there so much paranoia among FOSS users? What do you think is going to happen if you use the open source chromium web browser?

Comment

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
        I'm confused. I thought Canonical had paid employees to develop/support Ubuntu?

Other than that, the takeway I got from the chat was that OpenSUSE is really awesome. :-) That and if you want to be running KDE, Ubuntu really isn't the platform you want to be doing it on anymore.
        So, what good is Ubuntu/Kubuntu then? Really?

What does it have that Debian hasn't?

Comment

Hmh until there's no really working Firefox-qt branch I don't really care about Firefox. And I don't see it very likely after Nokia pull back from it's plan to keep qt as a main platform...

Comment

I don't get Qt anyway. I was prepared to learn it in 2012 but... should I? If you look at the focus (QML has mainly widgets for mobile use so far) you would think they concentrate on mobile like everyone else... but there's no official support for either iOS nor Android. And on the desktop? Again, QML desktop widgets are (AFAIK!) not out supported yet and to learn huge frameworks for the desktop only when a lot of applications are moving towards the web anyway? I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisccoulson View Post
              I dropped it because I don't want to have to support it for 5 years.
              There is no any way to get upstream Firefox support KDE?
              There is few bugreport about KDE support in Firefox: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=140751
              Maybe you may just at least send fresh patches to Mozilla Team?

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                Why is there so much paranoia among FOSS users? What do you think is going to happen if you use the open source chromium web browser?
                You should never trust anyone that wishes to compile every bit of data about you, no mater who they are and no matter what their intentions may be. As thats just common sense, you wouldn't let your neighbor know it, why should some faceless and unaccountable megacorp? Remember, when theres no charge YOU are the product.

Aside from that it's also because all browsers based on Webkit suck. Yes, I've used Chrome on Android, crashed randomly when loading pages of downloading files of any type, loaded Opera on the same phone and had no such issues, been using Safari on and off on OS X ever since the first release, often renders badly, text only zooming and no addon support, I've got Midori, Epiphany and Arora installed on Mint12 and all are extremely buggy and crash happy, page zooming sucks, they are crash with no rhyme or reason as to why they crash and they often render things wrong like text leaving it's intended area and rendering behind images, they are not worth the time or effort for me to bother filing bug reports for either since crap seems to be the only unifying feature of Webkit based browsers so why would I want to try Chromium if it's based on the same terrible core?

Comment

Originally posted by downer View Post
                  But in my experience KDE's Konqueror and Rekonq browsers fail with many sites that require a login, sometimes interactive forms don't work, and they overwrite gnash/flash installed for Firefox. KDE's browsers work fine for most websites, but Firefox has never let me down (except for sites that require Adobe's Shockwave Player or for Unity browser games --which can't be helped without Wine).
                  Yeah, I know, which is why I never really used Kubuntu or viewed it as a good general purpose distro. Rekonq is getting better, but I prefer a distro that is less focused on Qt purity and more on adding the best possible apps integrated into KDE.

Comment

Working...
                  X