Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu 12.04 To Drop KDE Support For Firefox

Phoronix: Kubuntu 12.04 To Drop KDE Support For Firefox

Besides Canonical no longer sponsoring the Kubuntu distribution following the 12.04 LTS release of this KDE-focused Ubuntu derivative, there's some more changes this cycle. As a last minute change prior to next month's Kubuntu 12.04 release, Mozilla Firefox support is being dropped...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like the CMS didn't escape the IRC conversation. You can see who is talking properly by viewing the source of the page.

Comment

Why are Linux developers unafraid of derailing their popular releases by treating them like a pet project?
      (Seriously)

Comment

Kubuntu IS a pet project now

Originally posted by downer View Post
        Why are Linux developers unafraid of derailing their popular releases by treating them like a pet project?
        (Seriously)
        Unless you know of somebody paying developers to work on it that I'm not aware of.

Comment

What I learned

I'm confused. I thought Canonical had paid employees to develop/support Ubuntu?

Other than that, the takeway I got from the chat was that OpenSUSE is really awesome. :-) That and if you want to be running KDE, Ubuntu really isn't the platform you want to be doing it on anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
            I'm confused. I thought Canonical had paid employees to develop/support Ubuntu?

Other than that, the takeway I got from the chat was that OpenSUSE is really awesome. :-) That and if you want to be running KDE, Ubuntu really isn't the platform you want to be doing it on anymore.
            They do, the news you missed is that Cononical is dropping Kubuntu, so it is essentially a pet project (after this release).

Comment

ArchLinux FTW

Comment

I figure this is (mostly) reasonable, though Ubuntu & Novell/SuSE should have pushed it upstream years ago...
                And it looks like OpenSuSE is the saner option.

Maxim: Indeed. My Ubuntu computer doesn't suspend, only hibernates when wifi drivers are unloaded before hibernate.
                And if it did suspend, the 3-cell battery would be gone
                The proper solution is to figure out quirks and set them up, set up a GUI under Power Preferences or whatever that lets you (THE USER)
                1 ) Select which options to enable (there are some computers where even reboot wouldn't work, though they're scarce)
                2 ) Select modules to unload/quirks to apply
                3 ) Test how it works.

Comment

?No longer willing to maintain the patch???? Canonical, as usual, did nothing. It never was maintained by anyone from Canonical. The patch is a SUSE product and it's being dropped from Kubuntu because the patch was broken for Firefox 10. The patch was updated and is now being shipped to openSUSE users as part of the Firefox 11 update: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=746591

Comment

Bye bye FF & Chrome : there are full of Google craps
                    In fact the question is : which one is the most neutral for web browsing ?

Comment

Working...
                    X