Wasteland 2 Looks Towards Linux Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    At this point Ubuntu Vibes does a MUCH better job with OSS news, especially on the gaming front, Wheres the Phoronix coverage of new titles like Depth Hunter, Dear Esther and Deep Black: Reloaded, all of them where posted on UV in the last week, if you read Phoronix you'd think theres only 15 games for Linux.
    Wait, what? Looks like I need to add that site te my feeds, cheers for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      If you read Phoronix you'd think theres only 15 games for Linux...
      Okay, that I have to clap to.

Comment

How I think games get chosen to be covered on Phoronix

Hi, I also get confused by Michael's choices of games that he covers, but after thinking about it for a bit, I think I've got it, and it would explain what we see quite nicely.

Games aren't one of Phoronix's primary focuses like graphics, so there's little chance of him knowing about a new release or news unless one of the following is true:
        It's a benchmark game for PTS (or a game made by the same group/company)
        Someone tips him to the game's existence/news
        It's a big topic in the forum
        He's on the email list (as opposed to reading the -dev or -user mailing lists; think the Humble Bundle announcement list).

So if you'd like to see more gaming news on here, it either has to come in thru one of those ways, or it would need to become profitable enough for him to spend time on it in place of something he covers.

If you are looking for other linux gaming coverage, here's 3 sites I've visited in the past:
        Gaming On Linux Probably the best site right now for Linux gaming news.
        Linux Gaming News Fine site, quiet for the moment- lots of good items, and many links to other Linux gaming sites, old and new.
        Linux Gaming reddit Not a whole lot of activity, but occasionally games get announced here, or the developers pop in to ask a question.

Comment

Well heres the deal, Larabel often complains that he gets ignored by hardware manufacturers due to low readership and the lack of focus on gaming to the point he has to go out and buy the hardware long after the release unlike the overclocking and gaming centric Windows sites that get their hardware long in advance of the release.

If he took gaming and possibly even overclocking more seriously the hardware companies would take Phoronix more seriously then they currently do, you get more readers because of it.

In other words, by not taking gaming seriously he's costing himself money, which from all I've seen from him is all he's really after. Then at least he might even be able to get someone else to help him with the site, because hell, even such a tiny site as OSNews has allot more then just Holwerda posting.

Comment

+1
            If Michael pushes the (very welcomed) benchmarking suite, he should focus not only on drivers(backends per se), but on games(frontends).

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              just for the record michael can not do ALL...
              He can invite second editor, even remote one. Why not

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                Games aren't one of Phoronix's primary focuses like graphics, so there's little chance of him knowing about a new release or news unless one of the following is true:
                It's a benchmark game for PTS (or a game made by the same group/company)
                Someone tips him to the game's existence/news
                It's a big topic in the forum
                He's on the email list (as opposed to reading the -dev or -user mailing lists; think the Humble Bundle announcement list).
                90% of the time if it's an automated email list I will delete it, unless it's a personal email from the developer/representative.

Or other ways to get your game on Phoronix:

- I get exclusive information (Dear Esther will be mentioned probably later today now that I've been passed on interesting/exclusive details about the Linux port.)

- Accuse me of bullshit and then attempt to pay me off, as a Linux game developer/company tried to do recently, I'll write about that later today or tomorrow as well since I got new information from them.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  - Accuse me of bullshit and then attempt to pay me off, as a Linux game developer/company tried to do recently, I'll write about that later today or tomorrow as well since I got new information from them.
                  Haha, looking forward to lifting the veil on that.

Comment

*the lifting of the veil

Comment

I'm very excited about this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X