No announcement yet.

Cinnamon 1.4 Brings Back More GNOME2 Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, yes, afaik there's no global menu extension for cinnamon. It would be nice if they could share at least that (their extensions). :/

Comment

Cinnamon like OSX?

Ninez, I do not know what planet you are on, but Cinnamon bears absolutely no similarity to any mac I have ever used. And that goes for Gnome 3 as well. And that is a very good thing. I hate the Mac's common menu structure and childish bouncy launcher/task-switcher. If the default Cinnamon resembles anything it is Windows 95,98,ME,XP,NT.

In the Cinnamon settings you can configure it to a single toolbar at the bottom (Mint Default), top or have the two toolbar Gnome 2 layout. I use Gnome 3 with a black desktop and the ICS theme so when it starts it is just a black screen with mid blue clock, speaker and local temperature and a hot corner. You can keep your launchers and bouncy icons and spinning cube desktops and desktops covered in icons.

The good thing is the choice. I have mine the way I like it, you can have it anyway you want yours. That is something Mac owners cannot have, and Windows users are fairly limited as well.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
        Ninez, I do not know what planet you are on, but Cinnamon bears absolutely no similarity to any mac I have ever used. And that goes for Gnome 3 as well. And that is a very good thing. I hate the Mac's common menu structure and childish bouncy launcher/task-switcher. If the default Cinnamon resembles anything it is Windows 95,98,ME,XP,NT.
        I didn't say it was identical, at all. I said that they have chosen to take a similar approach, in the *context of and regarding their use of expo and scale* on their desktop. ~ They HAVE followed in the footsteps of MacOSX and Compiz (as opposed to GS style, with a bar on the right side / vertical layout, accessed through 'activities'). That's a pretty hard point to argue, it is fact... and nowhere did i say anything about them being the same, or that cinnamon or Gnome 3 looks just like MacOSX. You've made that shit up in your head, and chosen to PMS about it, now.

In the Cinnamon settings you can configure it to a single toolbar at the bottom (Mint Default), top or have the two toolbar Gnome 2 layout. I use Gnome 3 with a black desktop and the ICS theme so when it starts it is just a black screen with mid blue clock, speaker and local temperature and a hot corner. You can keep your launchers and bouncy icons and spinning cube desktops and desktops covered in icons.
        I don't need your help with Cinnamon's settings thanks, not exactly rocket science. And i've had cinnamon installed since it was released, and update it with GIT, weekly....

Honestly, i don't give a shit what your desktop looks like, my (linux/Gnome3) desktop sounds just as minimal, if not more so than yours - but who really cares?!? (i don't). The funny thing about your little rant -> I DON'T have 'bouncy icons' on my Mac or on my Archlinux Desktop. And while you bitch about 'bouncy icons', clearly you haven't used a mac enough to know that it takes all of 5 seconds to disable the features you are whining like a little girl about.... I do NOT use the cube plugin, wobbly windows or any bling like that (in compiz). I don't even use transition effects on 'open/close', I think minimize is the only one (zoom). How about you take your grand assumptions, and you little rant and shove them up your ass. thank you very much.

The good thing is the choice. I have mine the way I like it, you can have it anyway you want yours. That is something Mac owners cannot have, and Windows users are fairly limited as well.
        Correct, choice is always good. ..But AFAIK both Windows and Mac users can alter their desktop all they like, there are apps and tools to do that on both OSes, including making MacOSX look very different, from how it comes (ie: being able to change pretty much very graphic/button/widget/icon/gui related part. What they can't do is completely swap out DE/WM for another.

..and to be honest, i have no interest in changing my MacOSX desktop, it is just fine the way it is. Apple designs a nice Operating system, and provides what i need on that machine. More importantly, i use my Mac for the applications it has on it, and being able to customize the interface AFAIK is NOT important versus using my applications. Which do you think is more important?
        Last edited by ninez; 15 March 2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Nothing much

I had a minor dig at you for saying "I really like that Cinnamon seems to be modeled to be more like a Compiz Desktop or MacOSX Desktop.... " And you reply with "Honestly, i don't give a shit what your desktop looks like" and "How about you take your grand assumptions, and you little rant and shove them up your ass. thank you very much." and other rubbish.

Mine was a comment and yours a rant.

What do I think is important? I thing software freedom is important. That is why I only use Linux, that is why I use an Android Tablet and that is why I never use anything Apple.

Comment

I had a minor dig at you for saying "I really like that Cinnamon seems to be modeled to be more like a Compiz Desktop or MacOSX Desktop.... " And you reply with "Honestly, i don't give a shit what your desktop looks like" and "How about you take your grand assumptions, and you little rant and shove them up your ass. thank you very much." and other rubbish.
            again, in the context of scale and expo. what are you not understanding??? (ie: the article is about the new features, which resemble features from compiz and MacOSX, rather than gnome-shell).

You get comments like that for making assumptions. You assumed that all i care about is bling, which was in reality, is completely off the mark, you then told me to 'keep all my bouncy icons, etc'.... You wanna be a dick, expect it back.

both were rants, if you weren't ranting you wouldn't have made such judgmental, presumptuous statements with a hint of 'hater talk'...

What do I think is important? I thing software freedom is important. That is why I only use Linux, that is why I use an Android Tablet and that is why I never use anything Apple.
            Good for you. Then don't buy Apple, and enjoy your life!

Software freedom is important, but other things are equally, if not more important. Like having good video editing software (none for linux, that compares to Win/Mac apps), like having image-editing applications that can work with highend image formats(none for linux comparable to Win/Mac apps), having a wide variety of music (proaudio) software, that i can use with my instruments/hardware(some for linux, but nowhere near the place it is in Win/Mac-land. the list goes on and on.

I strike a balance between both. Partly, because i have to (for work, and otherwise) and partly because there isn't always FOSS software to fill the gap... At this point in the game, that makes more sense to use the best of both worlds, rather than crippling myself / shooting myslef in the foot.
            Last edited by ninez; 15 March 2012, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Anyway... while these girls have their girly fight over semantics and interpretation...

Cinnamon is just getting better and better. I like gnome3 but parts of it are just... Cinnamon takes the flashy parts of gnome3 and bolts a more "traditional desktop" over it while still having some of the functionality of gnome3

Its a shame you can't have hte 3d effects and play 3D games... gnome3 use to have an issue but they fixed it, cinnamon need to take that fix from mutter and apply it to their 3d effects part
              They still need a convinient means to switch user...

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                Software freedom is important, but other things are equally, if not more important. Like having good video editing software (none for linux, that compares to Win/Mac apps), like having image-editing applications that can work with highend image formats(none for linux comparable to Win/Mac apps), having a wide variety of music (proaudio) software, that i can use with my instruments/hardware(some for linux, but nowhere near the place it is in Win/Mac-land. the list goes on and on.
                I bet nobody cares about that crap called os x, so I recommend to stop that bullshit. If it's good for you then good for you, but I don't even look at closed, slow and full of security holes crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  Anyway... while these girls have their girly fight over semantics and interpretation...

Cinnamon is just getting better and better. I like gnome3 but parts of it are just... Cinnamon takes the flashy parts of gnome3 and bolts a more "traditional desktop" over it while still having some of the functionality of gnome3

Its a shame you can't have hte 3d effects and play 3D games... gnome3 use to have an issue but they fixed it, cinnamon need to take that fix from mutter and apply it to their 3d effects part
                  They still need a convinient means to switch user...
                  I agree that Cinnamon is getting better and better, but Cinnamon is also very much a work in progress. One thing I need is a working calendar app that integrates with Google Calendar and so far Cinnamon calendar is just a calendar. But the functionality will come. Clem has done wonders in writing a replacement shell in just a few months. Cinnamon extensions (and Gnome as well) are now supported by Chrome. I have no doubt the games issue will be fixed as well. The other thing that I find amazing is how fast the other distros have added Cinnamon. It has gone from a Mint thing to a Linux thing in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    both were rants, if you weren't ranting you wouldn't have made such judgmental, presumptuous statements with a hint of 'hater talk'...
                    Could you both just stay on this thread's topic which is simply bashing Gnome Shell?

Comment

Originally posted by Kakao View Post
                      Could you both just stay on this thread's topic which is simply bashing Gnome Shell?
                      Is not the topic of this thread praising Cinnamon?

Comment

Working...
                      X