Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: The Synaptics Driver That Does Multi-Touch, ClickPads

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Even hardwarewise there are some really great alternatives (but make sure you get the Cherry switches; if memory serves Das makes keyboards using only the higher end Cherry spring collapse switch), but the problems I mentioned still remain.
    Having to make those rapid, fine movements with your fingers while contorting your wrists into position is why people get carpal tunnel.
    There are some alternative input devices that help to put your wrists in a more natural position, but they are bizarre.
    My point, however, is that ANY kind of keyboard is going to have the kinds of problems I mentioned in thr previous post.
    Well yes repetitive strain injury and carpal tunnel is going to occur with excessive amounts of typing on anything, the full and half ergo keyboards were designed to help with the wrist issue, but the repetitive strain caused by typing issue can only be minimized by key technology while we retain the same input method. My point was that our input devices ["have become", "are becoming"] PoS that feel utterly terrible, cause more issues along those lines, and break within a few short years. Now I'm not saying the M is completely perfect in everything, I pointed out it's flaws in a previous post, however it's better than anything else I've laid hands on.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Well yes repetitive strain injury and carpal tunnel is going to occur with excessive amounts of typing on anything, the full and half ergo keyboards were designed to help with the wrist issue, but the repetitive strain caused by typing issue can only be minimized by key technology while we retain the same input method. My point was that our input devices ["have become", "are becoming"] PoS that feel utterly terrible, cause more issues along those lines, and break within a few short years. Now I'm not saying the M is completely perfect in everything, I pointed out it's flaws in a previous post, however it's better than anything else I've laid hands on.
    I understand your point and don't disagree. I We obviously misunderstood one another.
    Still, if you get the chance, google Cherry switches and you'll find their are lots of other quality keyboards out there.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    I understand your point and don't disagree. I We obviously misunderstood one another.
    Still, if you get the chance, google Cherry switches and you'll find their are lots of other quality keyboards out there.
    Well not totally surprised that there are still companies living up to the M standard, looked at previously mentioned Das Keyboard, but it's not a half ergo, nor does it have media keys. With the meta key on there I can technically live without media keys but I'd prefer to have them. Know of any company that does both of those with these switches?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Only problems are what I've stated above which are a result from them being a 20-30 year old design.
    And the fact that they're not available on laptops, which pretty much rules them out for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    My point was that our input devices ["have become", "are becoming"] PoS that feel utterly terrible, cause more issues along those lines, and break within a few short years.
    Can't the same be said for computer monitors though? While the recent increase in popularity of IPS screens is nice, the change in form-factor to 16:9 pretty-much everywhere basically screams this screen is designed for watching films and nothing else.

    About RSI though: changing the keyboard layout can help a lot, since it balances load on the fingers and avoids the need to reach a long way (which is the primary reason the layout I linked duplicates a lot of symbols on the third layer).

  5. #15

    Default

    Hi guys, i'm new to linux and i'm wondering if anyone can help me install this ? :3

    Thanks

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Well not totally surprised that there are still companies living up to the M standard, looked at previously mentioned Das Keyboard, but it's not a half ergo, nor does it have media keys. With the meta key on there I can technically live without media keys but I'd prefer to have them. Know of any company that does both of those with these switches?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "half ergo". Do you mean a split layout?
    If that is what you mean, here is what I've found:
    http://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/index.php
    http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm -- this one doesn't advertise Cherry switches, but they are mechanical and I read elsewhere that they are in fact Cherry MX

    i don't think any of these use the Cherry Blue switch (basically the same switch as the Model M you have), but since they all provide positive feedback and require varying amounts of force to depress (depends on the model switch used), they are all considered excellent switches. Most of the Cherry switches are non-linear, thus once you press beyond a certain point it either pushes back harder, or collapses, and pushed back less. Additionally, most include a clicking mechanism so as to give an aural feedback.
    There are probably more keyboards out there, but hopefully this is helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •