AMD Radeon HD 7950: Southern Islands Isn't Yet A Penguin Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Why would you even have to think about recommending AMD video cards to a Linux user?

AMD doesn't support Linux at all!!!! The 7950 is already released and there's virtually no linux support. There's still a watermark?!?!!? LOL! A $500 video card and you can't even use it in your chosen OS without tinkering with the driver yourself?!? AMD has virtually no Linux support.

It's already released and there's ZERO open source support and they do nothing about the proprietary driver support. AMD continues to be an epic fail in Linux and the reason why is they don't give a crap about Linux. They care even less than Nvidia does. It's just cheaper to have an OSS driver that they can load off to Linux users.
    This is basically what I try to fix, to the extent which is possible as normal buyer.
    You didn?t have VIA in your hands.... haha.

Comment

Michael, the description text in the PNG renders has become unreadable. The above sample is from this article, the below one from the previous GPU review ($10 Nvidia).

Comment

To those complaining that AMDs latest cards are not yet supported: you're right, it is annoying and I would have liked the Catalyst driver to support it upon its release. However, as far as I can see, AMD had 2 options:

1) Release the hardware now, with a driver for upwards of 95% of their userbase (the Windows users), and get the Linux driver out as quickly as they can.

2) Delay the release for all their customers, on the basis that a small minority would not have a driver.

I think their decision was reasonable. To be inconvenienced by this, I believe you would need all of the following:
        a) to be a Linux user (< 5% of their userbase)
        b) to be wanting to buy and able to afford/justify a cutting-edge graphics card (20% of linux users?)
        c) an unwillingness/inability to spend about 5 minutes checking out linux driver support for newly released hardware

I'm deliberately avoiding the "I want that hardware now" option, as I think that is covered by the 2 options that AMD had), so I think the number of people that meet all 3 criteria are going to be very slim.

PS: there seems to be very little trust in AMD - that the open source driver hasn't been released is definitely a shame (I believe AMD would agree with that), but that doesn't mean that it isn't coming - they're making it work before they release the driver, and I imagine the documentation is going through their review process.
        Last edited by archibald; 13 March 2012, 12:16 PM. Reason: added a postscript

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

Michael, the description text in the PNG renders has become unreadable. The above sample is from this article, the below one from the previous GPU review ($10 Nvidia).

What browser are you using to see the PNG version? I know why the text is smaller and its due to updating the bilde_renderer implementation from PTS 3.8 which uses the new IR and its handled differently and PNG is less well optimized. Though looking forward to poor-SVG-supported-browsers to die soon so that PNG needs will be greatly reduced.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No Watermark with Catalyst 12.2

Back to facts:

The main problem with Michaels article is that he used an unofficial driver instead of Catalyst 12.2 which shows no watermark for me and was released only some days later:
            Michael wrote: "As far as the Catalyst Linux driver goes, I was using an fglrx 8.95 series driver, which is very similar to the recently released Catalyst 12.2. This driver, which is marked as fglrx 8.95.3 and the OpenGL 4.2.11566 driver"

The Catalyst 12.2 shows me OpenGL 4.2.11554, so it is definitely not identical.

Second thing is, that my 7950 worked also with 12.1, with the only limitation of the locked clock speed, which is not a problem under linux at all, because there is no linux-game I know that would need extra performance of this card.
            The only "real" problem WAS the watermark, which did not disturb me at all...
            And on Windows it was almost the same. To use my 7950 I had to install a non-certified driver first...

Besides: I had an Nvidia GTX260 before and mainly switched to ati because of www.sebastian-siebert.de which wrote a very nice script for opensuse, that automagically re-builds the driver after a kernel-upgrade without any user-intervention. With suse-tumbleweed as a rolling distro and NVIDIA I hit the text-console almost every week and had to rebuilt myself...

@Michael & Phoronix: I like most of the phoronix-articles, there are (from time to time as in this article) too many repetitions and/or a bit too much complaining about things that are not as worse.

Cheers, Tom

Comment

For those crying/whining about no open-source support, AMD never promised quick open-source support, and it's completely unreasonable to expect it with a different architecture. If they just removed the damn watermark and replaced it with a warning in CCC, then their drivers would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                What browser are you using to see the PNG version? I know why the text is smaller and its due to updating the bilde_renderer implementation from PTS 3.8 which uses the new IR and its handled differently and PNG is less well optimized. Though looking forward to poor-SVG-supported-browsers to die soon so that PNG needs will be greatly reduced.
                Opera.......

Comment

@Michael & Phoronix: for me you have lost most of your credibility.

I have a XFX AMD HD 7970 (by default overclocked to 1000/1425) and it works great with the official 12.2 driver (OpenGL 4.2.11554), which shows no watermark. It also worked good with the 9.21 RC11 (some glitches with amarok tray icon, that disappeared with 12.2, but also no watermark). Both of drivers allow me to change the speed of gpu and memory without problems. I also have the same stability / problems as with my former HD 5770. If you were using Catalyst with another card, you will see nothing worse.

So say the truth about this card. Use the official drivers that support this card and you will have your watermark disappear and the ability to change the clock.

bye bye (at least for a few months)

Comment

Originally posted by elmo23x View Post
                    I have a XFX AMD HD 7970 ... So say the truth about this card. Use the official drivers that support this card and you will have your watermark disappear and the ability to change the clock.
                    We've already established that the 7970 doesn't have the watermark while the 7950 does. Moving on...

bye bye (at least for a few months)
                    You're a moron. Please let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You're a moron. Please let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
                      There are so polite people around here...

Can you tell me how to close my account?

It does not worth to post my results around here when you just get ignored and insulted.
                      Last edited by elmo23x; 13 March 2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X