Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 7950: Southern Islands Isn't Yet A Penguin Holiday

Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 7950: Southern Islands Isn't Yet A Penguin Holiday

The Radeon HD 7900 series were announced at the end of 2011 and since then the Linux support status for this hardware has remained a big question. For the Radeon HD 7000 series "Southern Islands" GPU launch, they did not send over any hardware samples so Linux consumers have left to be confused over the state of the non-Windows support for AMD's hardware based on the "Graphics Core Next" architecture. Fortunately, here is finally an extensive look at the Radeon HD 7000 series on Linux with testing of a Radeon HD 7950.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    and the "Bridgman" way to bugfix this on the consumer side is the way he fixed his windows-modem problem he just install windows vista! what?? do you want linux on your PC??? with AMD hardware? go install windows VISTA! like any other ELITE human Bridgman prove it!
    Q, can you please try to hew a little closer to the truth ? I don't have time to keep up with your "big lie".

If you remember, what happened is the exact opposite of what you said -- I went out and bought a cellular modem which *did* work with Linux, and the issue was a phone modem neither made by AMD/ATI nor using AMD/ATI silicon. AMD hardware had nothing to do with it.
    Test signature

Comment

Just like to chime in that my HD 7950 works pretty dang well and without the unsupported hardware watermark using Ubuntu 11.10 x64 kernel 3.0 and the HD 79xx series driver AMD released back in January. Haven't tried Catalyst 12.2, but I'm not sure I want to bother.

Comment

i translate your PR speak to normal human speak; "I went out and bought a Nvidia/intel Graphic-card which *did* work with Linux,"

sure you can fix the ati-Xenos xbox360 linux driver problem by buying nvidia hardware or intel hardware instead of ati/microsoft hardware.

or dit amd now support linux on the ati-Xenos-Xbox360 hardware? and your personal solution to fix the ATI linux-driver problem is to buy a nvidia card for your vista PC ?
        Ahh, I see the problem. You're using the wrong starting language for translation... like doing a German-to-English translation when the person is speaking Estonian. That explains why the result has very little to do with the original and doesn't make a lot of sense.

It probably also explains how "dial-up modem" became "ati-Xenos xbox360".
        Test signature

Comment

Why do you keep talking about XBox ?
          Test signature

Comment

Michael really wonders why he doesn't get hardware when he writes articles like this?

Why would AMD send good hardware when they know the opensource driver isn't ready yet? Especially when they're just going to be slated for it (which Michael would do with or without the hardware)

I wonder how many whiny articles we'll get about poor wee Michael having to go out and buy something because the big mean companies didn't want to give him freebies

Comment

because xbox is a computer and you can run linux on it and in the xbox is ATI/AMD hardware !

why not talking about xbox ?
              Because we were talking about my modem

You said something about my response to modem issues which did not match my recollection, I disagreed, you responded with something about "translating what I said into something totally different", I challenged your description of what you did as "translation", and we were suddenly talking about XBox...
              Last edited by bridgman; 12 March 2012, 02:56 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Why do you keep talking?
                There, fixed it for you.

Are Warsow and Xonotic relevant benchmarks anymore unless you try something like Eyefinity on this class of HW?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  Michael really wonders why he doesn't get hardware when he writes articles like this?

Why would AMD send good hardware when they know the opensource driver isn't ready yet? Especially when they're just going to be slated for it (which Michael would do with or without the hardware)

I wonder how many whiny articles we'll get about poor wee Michael having to go out and buy something because the big mean companies didn't want to give him freebies
                  Yeah, this article was 4 pages of largely incorrect whining (the forums from all previous posts about SI, contradict it, only place he did have a point was about open source drivers, but Oh wait.. there it was there it was simply whining and misconstruing with the first small bits of truth in the article) followed by 3 pages of begrudgingly acknowledging the superiority of the 7950 while still trying to grasp for whatever he could to use against it.

This is a new low Michael, If you continue writing such low quality articles you're going to drive off your entire reader base. Nobody wants to read such articles that are so blatantly dripping with FUD, FUD which I might remind you has been proven wrong in the forums every time you posted an article.

Comment

Wow this thread is a huge fail.

The article is not as bad as people make it out to be.

And bridgman, you're not gaining anything by replying to Qaridarium. It's just not a healthy thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X