ATI Control Panel Settings Location Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Control Panel Settings Location Question

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and the 7.11 ATI drivers.

When using the control panel to enable/disable displays, where are the settings saved?

There are several actions (like switching displays) that do not modify the xorg.conf file, but the settings do stick after a reboot.

They're obviously using another config file, but I've been unable to locate it.

Thanks

that is done via the aticonfig tool... sorry to say, but that's how it happens... all i can say though is that after modifying said settings restart the xserver and it'll be applied right away.

Comment

Originally posted by talon95 View Post
      I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and the 7.11 ATI drivers.

When using the control panel to enable/disable displays, where are the settings saved?

There are several actions (like switching displays) that do not modify the xorg.conf file, but the settings do stick after a reboot.

They're obviously using another config file, but I've been unable to locate it.

Thanks
      For some strange reason, these settings are saved in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb...

Comment

Edit: yes, what Christian L said - there's also a file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb that is used by the Catalyst Control Center for some settings.

I think it's a binary file, not user editable, but I'm not running the proprietary drivers right now so I can't check.
        Last edited by ejs1920; 17 December 2007, 06:22 AM.

Comment

that basically means there is no support for individual (per-user) settings?

Comment

/etc/ati/amdpcsdb should be a text file, otherwise look for another file starting with amd... under /etc/*/ (I can't check this right now, because I don't have my ATI laptop with me at the moment). Settings seem to be the same as for aticonfig, with values preceeded by an S or V (for "string" or "value"), like "Strue" or "V1".

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            that basically means there is no support for individual (per-user) settings?
            Don't know. You may want to change something as non-root in amdcccle and then check whether a file was edited in your home directory ("ls -latr ~").
            Last edited by Christian_L; 17 December 2007, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. That's part of what I was looking for. Here's the amdpcsdb file on my system:

AMDPCSDBV1
              [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/LibXUtil/Display1]
              Map=V0
              Enable=V0
              [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/LibXUtil/Display2]
              Enable=V1
              [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/LDC]
              OverrideDongle=V1
              HelpDisabled=V0
              LinkedAllSliders:1=V1
              LinkedAllSliders:2=V1
              LastViewedPage=SFormats
              [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/DDX]
              DesktopSetup=Ssingle
              EnableMonitor=Scv
              VideoOverlay=Son
              OpenGLOverlay=Soff
              TVStandard=SSCART
              [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/DDX/cv/attribute]
              brightness=V0
              contrast=V100
              [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/DDX/cv/dongleUseOverride]
              OverrideVal=V73
              What I don't see is the cvdongle custom resolution settings that you can see from aticonfig
              Customize mode 0 : flags 0x7, width 1152, height 648, baseWidth 1280, baseheight 720, refresh 60.
              Customize mode 1 : flags 0x13, width 1280, height 720, baseWidth 1280, baseheight 720, refresh 60.
              Customize mode 2 : flags 0xe, width 1776, height 1000, baseWidth 1920, baseheight 1080, refresh 30.
              Customize mode 3 : flags 0x1a, width 1920, height 1080, baseWidth 1920, baseheight 1080, refresh 30.
              Total 4 customized modes found for component video.
              Any idea where these are stored?

I'm asking this because last weekend I was trying to switch between my HDTV on the dongle to my projector on VGA. In the process, the settings for the dongle got hosed and I couldn't get an image on my HDTV. Since I couldn't locate the settings files, I ended up doing a full system restore from a backup. That worked but it would be nice to be able to restore just the settings or edit them from the command line.

Comment

Sorry, I have no experience with that. You may want to play with these aticonfig settings given by aticonfig --help (use cp amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.sav, change settings with aticonfig and then type diff amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.sav to check whether the settings were written to amdpcsdb):

Component video dongle options:
                Following options are used for query and set dongles for a component video. These options will be effective immediately. Other options on the same command line will be ignored.
                --query-cvdongle
                query dongle setting informations of the component video.
                --set-cvdongle=VALUE
                set the custom override value of the CV dongle.
                --reset-cvdongle
                reset the custom override setting(to zero)of the CV dongle.

Component video customized mode options:
                Following options are used for query and set customized mode for component video. These options will be effective immediately. Other options on the same command line will be ignored.
                --query-cvmode
                query customized modes for component video.
                --add-cvmode=WIDTH,HEIGHT,FLAGS,BASEWIDTH,BASEDHEIGHT,RE FRESH.
                add a customized mode for component video.
                --validate-cvmode=WIDTH,HEIGHT,FLAGS,BASEWIDTH,BASEHEIGHT,REF RESH.
                validate a customized mode for component video.
                --delete-cvmode=INDEX
                delete one customized mode for component video.
                Check also the other files in the /etc/ati directory.

Comment

If you do find out where the Component Video settings are stored please post or PM me. You obviously have had your component video output working at some time.

Unfortunately I have never found the correct settings which I suspect are due to my HDTV not returning acceptable EDID information. This means that there are no selectable HD formats (e.g. 720p 1280x720) to choose from in the Catalyst Control Center. If you find the file for those settings may be I can edit and force the selections to be available in the Catalyst Control Center.

Thanks

Comment

I do have the dongle working. I've got my TV (Hitachi 51SWX20B) displaying 1152x648 which removes the overscan.

I don't think my TV returns any EDID info over component. The trick to getting the HDTV resolutions to show up is to restart after enabling the CV dongle. Roughly the steps I took to get it working were:

1. Install Ubuntu with a VGA monitor connected (component won't work at this point)

2. Install and enable ATI proprietary drivers.

3. Physically connect the TV to the component dongle. (might want to restart at this point, I can't remember if I did or not)

4. Use the ATI control panel to enable the dongle at which point you should have a clone display. At this point I had a scrolling 640x480 desktop on my TV.

5. RESTART the machine (or maybe just restart X).

6. Bring up the ATI control panel again. Now at least in my case it had enabled the HDTV custom resolution section and I could select 480p, 720p, etc... I selected 720p, 1080i, and 16x9.

7. Once the custom resolutions boxes are selected, the lower half of the window should show the custom resolutions. Select the one you want and hit the "Apply" button.

Comment

Working...
                    X