Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org's XDS2012 Will Celebrate 25 Years Of X11

Phoronix: X.Org's XDS2012 Will Celebrate 25 Years Of X11

Some new details have emerged concerning the 2012 X.Org Developers' Summit, which will take place this September and commemorate 25 years of X11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sure it's going to be a blast!

I'm sure it's going to be a blast! Can't wait for September to come

Comment

X12

25 years of X11.
      Time for X12 now?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        25 years of X11.
        Time for X12 now?
        Time for Wayland I would say.

Sending another process rendering commands worked back in the days but is now complete non-sense performance wise.

With Wayland, an app can choose to render using the CPU or OpenGL (accelerated rendering) and pass that buffer to the compositor, no more copying --> more performance and more freedom to do what you want.

As for the loss of networking, Wayland isn't incompatible with that since it supports a "damage" API that can be used to push modifications of a window through the network efficiently. A Wayland client could be located on a server and you would provide the wayland server on your computer. Just like the current architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          25 years of X11.
          Time for X12 now?
          i agree. i really don't understand how x11 lasted so long - it is older than me. the other versions all lived for a normal amount of time but 25 years? even 10 would be a long time, and i would bet that x11 today is completely incompatible with how it was 25 years ago, making the version number nonsensical.

it is time for x12. maybe wayland wouldn't have been necessary if x12 were released a long time ago with the fixes that wayland proposes. having 2 competing graphical servers will propose more hardware compatibility issues than we have already.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            i agree. i really don't understand how x11 lasted so long - it is older than me. the other versions all lived for a normal amount of time but 25 years? even 10 would be a long time, and i would bet that x11 today is completely incompatible with how it was 25 years ago, making the version number nonsensical.
            The core X11 protocol was always kept backward compatible (though some rarely-used extensions such as LBX, PEX or XEvIE were in fact removed).

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            it is time for x12. maybe wayland wouldn't have been necessary if x12 were released a long time ago with the fixes that wayland proposes. having 2 competing graphical servers will propose more hardware compatibility issues than we have already.
            You keep talking about this "X12" thing, yet you haven't told us what it's even suppsed to be. Really, what in god's name are you blathering about?

Comment

Information about Nuremberg

As I am born in Nuremberg (N?rnberg) and live here I want to give you some information about the location and clarify some information given in the article.

First of all you should know, that visiting the Oktoberfest in Munich is not just a matter of jumping a train and be there in an hour or so. If you plan a visit you should have a full day at your disposal. So don't think you can leave Nuremberg at 3 pm and return late at night. Munich is about 200 km distance from Nuremberg and a 1 hour trainride is very optimistic. Even a fast train could take nearly 1 1/2 hours (and at that time they may well be pretty packed and overcrowded). Once you are in Munich station, you still have a way to the festival. The time to plan from Suse in Nuremberg (or your hotel) to reach Oktoberfest can be 3 hours or so. Oktoberfest can barely cope with the number of people trying to visit. People who can't stand to be sandwiched in a massive crowd, should not go there.

If you are into history, you will find plenty of opportunities to spend your spare time in N?rnberg. From Suse Headquartes it literally just a 5 minute walk up the beautiful medieval castle, which will serve you a view over the city. And of course you may see some sites from the nazi-time, as Nuremberg was the chosen venue of Hitler's nazi party rallyes.

Uh, by the way. Technically spoken, Nuremberg may be part of Bavaria. The predominat selfunderstanding of people living here still is, that Nuremberg is part of FRANCONIA in the first place and people here might well appreciate, if you can come up with that knowledge. Franconia, by the way, has the highest density of breweries worldwide.

Nuremberg is a half-a-million city and has as well some night life to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                The core X11 protocol was always kept backward compatible (though some rarely-used extensions such as LBX, PEX or XEvIE were in fact removed).

You keep talking about this "X12" thing, yet you haven't told us what it's even suppsed to be. Really, what in god's name are you blathering about?
                i only mentioned it twice, and its not what its "supposed" to be but what it should be. IMO, wayland is what x12 should have been - a complete clean slate with newer forms of rendering. from what i've heard, x11 is still packed with old, unneeded code or does things that would be considered inefficient today. but, i've also heard it is too much of a hassle to clean up.

but, since wayland pretty much takes care of this problem, there isn't necessarily a need for x12 anymore. all i was trying to say was x12 should have been released a while ago (like 5+ years ago) and if it were, wayland wouldn't have been necessary.

Comment

25 years and we're still using that?

LOL. Lemme install MS-DOS.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    25 years and we're still using that?

LOL. Lemme install MS-DOS.
                    Just because something is old, it does not mean that it is inherently bad.
                    The protocol is 25 years old, but the implementation (code) may have been worked, refined, rewritten, tuned and improved.

Unix and Internet are old too, they're way older than 25 years. But its good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X