Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUSE For FreeBSD Nearing Completion

Phoronix: FUSE For FreeBSD Nearing Completion

The FUSE kernel module for the FreeBSD kernel to support file-systems in user-space is -- finally -- nearing completion...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ext4

nice!

Hopefully this will provide a way to mount ext4 disks in FreeBSD. This has been one of my hurdles for switching: my external harddrives are formatted ext4 and I can not be bothered to move all that data to some other intermediate storage to convert to a FreeBSD compatible file system. Quite sad actually that the most "reliable" transfer file system between the *BSDs and Linux is FAT...

Comment

Minix has had it for a while

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
        nice!

Hopefully this will provide a way to mount ext4 disks in FreeBSD. This has been one of my hurdles for switching: my external harddrives are formatted ext4 and I can not be bothered to move all that data to some other intermediate storage to convert to a FreeBSD compatible file system. Quite sad actually that the most "reliable" transfer file system between the *BSDs and Linux is FAT...
        I used to format intermediate stuff as ext2 or ext3, can't remember exactly ...
        And, if you're ok with readonly in one of the OSes, then you have a wider set of more stable/capable filesystems

Regards.
        Last edited by vertexSymphony; 10 March 2012, 05:42 PM. Reason: small correction

Comment

BSD doesn't do UDF?

Comment

I respect and appreciate FUSE's existence as a toy

Toys are educational. I'd love to use Google Docs FS as a toy it would be a very useful toy and a fun one at that. Speaking of which, is the FS interface so different between BSD and XNU(MacOSX) that they couldn't crib off that? can we do HFS+rw in userspace on fuse? ext4 has that been done yet?

Comment

nice!

EXT4 is fully usable under FreeBSD 9.0 even right now, I have recently created an automount [1] daemon based on FreeBSD's devd(8) daemon and these are filesystems it supports: UFS/FAT/exFAT/NTFS/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4

It needs these ports to mount NTFS/exFAT/EXT4 respectively through FUSE:
              -- sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
              -- sysutils/fusefs-exfat
              -- sysutils/fusefs-ext4fuse

Its even possible to use Linux's LVM under FreeBSD, just type kldload geom_linux_lvm kernel module and check /dev/linux_lvm/ directory.

I use NTFS and exFAT filesystems from time to time on FreeBSD and havent found any problems, it does not crash, files are read/write ok.

[1] https://github.com/vermaden/automount/

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              BSD doesn't do UDF?
              Dunno about other BSDs, but FreeBSD supports UDF: http://man.freebsd.org/mount_udf
              Last edited by vermaden; 13 March 2012, 04:32 AM.

Comment

OpenBSD supports UDF too: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#foreignfs

Comment

nice!

The best for data transfer between FreeBSD and Linux is ext2.

Comment

Automount

Originally posted by vermaden View Post
                    EXT4 is fully usable under FreeBSD 9.0 even right now, I have recently created an automount [1] daemon based on FreeBSD's devd(8) daemon and these are filesystems it supports: UFS/FAT/exFAT/NTFS/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4
                    I have installed automount and has indeed allowed me to mount ext4 partitions, but only as root, though.

This is my /usr/local/etc/automount.conf :

USERUMOUNT="YES"
                    FM="thunar"
                    USER="mirix"

Thunar cannot open the display (probably because it is trying as root) and no regular user cannot mount or access the drives. Only root can.

Comment

Working...
                    X