No announcement yet.

The Ideal (Hypothetical) Gaming Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEO.org: Ihr Wörterbuch im Internet für ­Englisch-Deutsch­ Übersetzungen, mit Forum, Vokabeltrainer und Sprachkursen. Natürlich auch als App.

Rauschen: noise, hissing (more sound related),...
    LEO.org: Ihr Wörterbuch im Internet für ­Englisch-Deutsch­ Übersetzungen, mit Forum, Vokabeltrainer und Sprachkursen. Natürlich auch als App.

murmur: murmeln, raunen, ...

where does your translation come from? I think the term describing what you want is "noise". Like in "image noise":

Comment

Maybe they are, but don't try to lecture native speakers about how they use there language incorrect. There are also countless words in German that are used incorrectly if you go by the original meaning.

Another thing I'd like to ask: Do you have any references to "a black picture has unlimited fps in a real time raytracer"? Because to my understanding, a ray traced images is created by tracing rays. So if no rays are traced because the 286 is to slow to do any significant number of rays/sec, the image is not a ray traced image.
      I mean everyone agrees that you can produce 60fps with an averagely slow computer if you sacrifice image quality beyond the image being recognizable at all. But you can hardly argue, that it doesn't matter at what framerate you render the image, because the image quality will degrade past the point where its even recognizable because of missing information. Even if you use some kind of local adaptive resolutions or whatever, on a 286 you won't be able to get even 24 fps with an even remotely recognizable picture. I know you never wanted to write that, but thats what this is about. Tracing rays at 24/60 fps and getting a picture out of it that is beyond what rasterizers can achieve. Call your 60fps on 286 raytracer "real time" if you want, but don't show it anyone, they will laugh in your face.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
        Call your 60fps on 286 raytracer "real time" if you want, but don't show it anyone, they will laugh in your face.
        I think you meant 60 rays per second picture. LoL.

And no I don't think a hd7970 can deliver Crysis 3 1080p quality rendering by ray tracing. Unless you enjoy watching pixel garbage on every camera movement. Games are rarely static. Thus the whole adaptive crap will be of limited benefit.

Comment

Kind of related I think is this discussion between Tim Sweeney and Andrew Richards. They both have very different views on how the future of graphics should or could be done. Andrew more favors the traditional rasterization on GPUs approach "for the forseeable future", Sweeney argues their rasterizer wasn't that much slower then what 3DFX delivered and they would have a better image quality today if GPUs never would have gained market share...
          Featured by the quite sarcastic and weired Charlie from Semiaccurate:
          Tim Sweeney and Andrew Richards were kind enough to put up with Charlie’s questioning, interrupting, and, in general, badgering about the future of gaming and coding at GDC 2010.  As req…

Comment

Trying to get back on topic: Before you can design your processor I guess you should first try to figure out what kinds of games you want to run on your platform. Then you'd need to analyze those games in terms of CPU usage. Once you've figured out which CPU functions you need (and which you don't) you could try to design a CPU which offers only the functionality that's actually used. One other thing you'd need to figure out: Is your CPU going to be compatible to existing CPUs so that games can be run without any modifications or would you need to recompile the game to run on your platform?

Like I already said, usually software adapts to the hardware, not the hardware to the software. Its easier to change your software to use new features available in hardware than it is to adapt your hardware to growing needs of your software. Adaption means specialization and specialization means it will be very good at what it does but it also means it may not be able to do anything developers want or need in the future.

If you're simply going to try to be as cheap as possible you might get away with using a high-end video card and an existing low-end CPU that's just fast enough so as not to slow down the GPU.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            so yes google translate fails here... but maybe the english speaking people fail?
            I know this is going to derail the thread even further, mea culpa. Words rarely have only one meaning and their meaning can change based on context. Most automated translators only give you the primary meaning of a word which doesn't always fit. When applied to sound "noise" can mean loud, obnoxious or irritating. When applied to an image "noise" is also irritating and the best translation is usually "Rauschen". Take the word "loud" for instance. When applied to sound, it describes a sound that is very noticeable or audible (and sometimes irritating). When applied to color "loud" becomes "noticeable" but also "irritating" and the best translation is probably "grell".

Comment

Originally posted by Pyre Vulpimorph View Post
              The point of this thread, really, was so I can learn more about how modern games work. Specifically, what the CPU is left doing while the GPU is busy rendering frames. So, let's shoot for the moon and say my client's system will include a Radeon HD 7870 (pitcarin) GPU, and "normal" output resolution is going to be 1920x1080p.
              I think the best thing you can do to learn how a modern game works is to make one. Failing that (time pressure is a good reason why that's not feasible), go talk to game developers. Encompass the full range - indie, AAA, 2D, 3D, web browser based, desktop based, console based, mobile based, the works. Look at multi vs single threading, and how engines differ with that. Look at what OpenGL does across the different platforms. Look at actual engines and profile them (ogre, irrlicht, id software stuff, if you can't get numbers from elsewhere). Look at the power requirements, heat dissipation, active or passive cooling, etc etc etc. Look at peripherals (how many controllers are attached, etc).
              And also, talk to game developers about what they currently have, what problems they have to work around, and what they would like to have. Don't just look at things such as "virtualised textures", "cache control for data streaming", "z-buffer access", but also what languages to program in, if there's an OS to work with (or around), support, compilers, toolkits, the works. It's not just about the hardware, but software support too.

Comment

@Pyre Vulpimorph: Why exactly are you focused on the CPU part? If you want to learn how modern games work you should probably take a look at 1. what they are doing, 2. how they are doing it, and finally "where" they are doing it (CPU/GPU). Like mirv said, either take a look at some open source games or ask people actually involved in such things.

Basically anything aside from graphics is done on the CPU. This includes loading and saving stuff (levels, models, textures, ...), AI, input processing, game logic (path finding, scripted events, ...). Physics is usually also done on the CPU unless you're using a GPU that supports it.

Logic is a ultimate truth and if nativ speakers are not logical there thinking are damaned and this is a fact! this is right for all languages only in the mad-house this is wrong. "Language" is a lifing beeing you can fix that irratonal unlogic stuff.
                Yes, language is a living thing. But it's also an expression of cultural differences. You may be able to express a complex thought with a single word in one language while you need several sentences in another. Aside from that: Just because you're not fluent in a foreign language does not make it illogic (unlogic is not a word). If "noise" is the correct word to use in a given context this does not make it "wrong" just because you think it should be "murmuring". Instead of insulting native speakers, try actually learning their language to a sufficient degree?

Comment

Qaridarium how would your ray trace engine handle vsync? Because you know if you dont use vsync your image will have tears.

Comment

a engine forced to the screen frame rate as a deathline of "realtime" do have a natural vsync ---

if you get tearing then your realtime engine fail completely-
                    Never heard of a deathline, sounds bad though

Can you engine support double buffering?

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                      Qaridarium how would your ray trace engine handle vsync? Because you know if you dont use vsync your image will have tears.
                      This Q's raytracer isn't "hard real-time" raytracer. The renderer is synchronized to display and every frame is rendered as long as it has time before next display refresh.

Comment

Working...
                      X