VMware's Linux 3D Guest Driver Is Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
    Can you try it with other sound hardware? There might be a bug in your sound driver.
    Nah, same happens with the sound disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      +1. I can reproduce this on a Windows host and a Linux guest. Getting EXACTLY this behavior, audio and all.
      Weird. The host here is Linux, not Windows. And it happens with all guests: Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

Do you have a support agreement with VMware?
      I doubt it. Unless they accept support requests for Player.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Weird. The host here is Linux, not Windows. And it happens with all guests: Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

I doubt it. Unless they accept support requests for Player.
        Okay, so:

-We're using completely different host operating systems
        -We're using completely different guest operating systems
        -You're using Player, and I'm using Workstation

and we still have the same problem!

Surprised that nobody else here has experienced it?!

Comment

Player uses the same virtualization engine as Workstation, so that's not really a difference. Workstation is pretty much just a different GUI with more options.

Does the problem occur in your case when there's I/O in the host, or in the guest? For example, does it happen when you copy a directory containing many files in the host? Or only when you do the same in the guest?

Comment

Player uses the same virtualization engine as Workstation, so that's not really a difference. Workstation is pretty much just a different GUI with more options.

Does the problem occur in your case when there's I/O in the host, or in the guest? For example, does it happen when you copy a directory containing many files in the host? Or only when you do the same in the guest?
            Host, because if I just start Rhythmbox playing a song in the guest and forget about the guest completely and do stuff in the host, I get the sound chopping out at an extremely fast rate (the dropouts are only about ~10 - 20 ms each, if that).

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              -We're using completely different host operating systems
              -We're using completely different guest operating systems
              -You're using Player, and I'm using Workstation
              As already specified by others, compare hardware. It could well be a problem with a peripheral, or the CPU's virtualization features, or something.

Also, compare guest machine configurations. There's a lot of options that could potentially have a very meaningful impact on some hardware. Number of cores, choice of emulated hardware, CPU virtualization configuration, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                As already specified by others, compare hardware. It could well be a problem with a peripheral, or the CPU's virtualization features, or something.

Also, compare guest machine configurations. There's a lot of options that could potentially have a very meaningful impact on some hardware. Number of cores, choice of emulated hardware, CPU virtualization configuration, etc.
                OK.

Physical:
                CPU: Core i7 920 (original Nehalem, quad core, HT)
                Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
                RAM: 16GB dual channel DDR3 1600
                GPU: Radeon HD7970
                Audio: Sennheiser USB 2.0 headset
                Physical monitor config:
                2011 model Panasonic 1920x1080 HDTV connected by native HDMI 1.4a (no cable adaptors between monitor and GPU)
                2008 model commodity Dell 1680x1050 LCD connected by DVI converted to Mini-DisplayPort (uses DVI on the monitor end, plugs into Mini-DP on the video card)
                2004 model commodity Dell 1920x1200 LCD connected by DVI converted to Mini-DisplayPort (same connectors as other LCD)

Guest config:
                Memory: 4GB (even with this I still have 4 to 8GB of completely unused RAM on the host)
                CPU: 1 x 4-core CPU
                "Virtualization Engine": Default setting of "Automatic" with the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT" setting unchecked
                HDD: 200 GB SCSI virtual disk residing on a separate physical HDD than the host operating system HDD, but mapped as a file on an NTFS filesystem
                Monitor config: "Dedicated" full screen on a 1680x1050 LCD (Host OS programs configured not to start on second monitor so it's always just VMware on that monitor)
                Graphics: "Accelerate 3d Graphics" checked
                Kernel: 3.3 rc7-precise from Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Builds
                DDX: Latest VMware stable driver release, hand-compiled
                Mesa: From Xorg Edgers repository; it's "pretty recent" from git
                OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;
                OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.1

3d graphics performance in the guest is actually quite impressive -- for a virtualization solution. I really can't complain because it's light-years more stable and more usable than anything we've ever had before, as far as VMs go.

Only problem that remains is the seemingly random micro-lags within the guest, where the entire guest will hang for extremely short periods of time whenever the host does something "interesting", which can be triggered by something as trivial as playing a youtube video on the host. These events are unpredictable to the point that they sometimes happen when I'm doing absolutely nothing except playing an audio stream on the guest; I'm guessing some background service on the host is causing disk I/O when this occurs.

But... but... if RealNC gets the same problem with a *Linux* host, it can't be the Windows host! He says he even gets this problem with Linux guest Linux host, so Windows is totally out of the picture.

So I'm confused.

Comment

I use:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
                  Mobo: MSI MSI P67A-C43 B3
                  RAM: 12GB (8GB 1666 + 4GB 1333, both running at 1333)
                  HD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00V1A0
                  FS: EXT4 (and disabling barriers doesn't help)
                  Audio: Asus Xonar D1 (PCI)
                  GPU: GTX 560 Ti
                  Only one monitor connected through DVI-D at 1920x1080

To the guests I give 2GB RAM and an 8GB HD. 3D disabled/enabled doesn't matter.

Might be CPU related. A while ago when I was using a Core 2 Duo, I/O blocking wasn't that bad. But I was using older software too then, so I can't be sure.

Comment

I use:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
                    Mobo: MSI MSI P67A-C43 B3
                    RAM: 12GB (8GB 1666 + 4GB 1333, both running at 1333)
                    HD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00V1A0
                    FS: EXT4 (and disabling barriers doesn't help)
                    Audio: Asus Xonar D1 (PCI)
                    GPU: GTX 560 Ti
                    Only one monitor connected through DVI-D at 1920x1080

To the guests I give 2GB RAM and an 8GB HD. 3D disabled/enabled doesn't matter.

Might be CPU related. A while ago when I was using a Core 2 Duo, I/O blocking wasn't that bad. But I was using older software too then, so I can't be sure.
                    Our configuration is very dissimilar. Except: how many cores are you assigning to the guest?

I'm gonna try something later on, and start with 1 core, test, and increment the cores to 2, then 4 then 8 and see if the behavior changes. It may have something to do with the virtual IOAPIC, which is required if you have greater than one core.

Comment

You have a RAID setup, I only have one disk. You use an old kernel, I use 3.2.
                      He's using Linux 3.1

The version reported in Fedora 15 is 2.6.41 so that they don't have to make patches for everything that expects that kind of versioning.

Comment

Working...
                      X