Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TitaniumGL: A Faster Multi-Platform Graphics Driver Architecture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TitaniumGL: A Faster Multi-Platform Graphics Driver Architecture?

Phoronix: TitaniumGL: A Faster Multi-Platform Graphics Driver Architecture?

After first being introduced on Windows years ago, and then FreeBSD and ReactOS support added last year, this week finally marked the release of TitaniumGL for Linux. TitaniumGL is self-described as a "freeware driver architecture" and carries a goal to support OpenGL on graphics cards with broken, bad, or missing OpenGL hardware drivers. Here are some benchmarks of TitaniumGL compared to NVIDIA's binary GPU driver and the Mesa/Gallium3D LLVMpipe software rasterizer.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

holy s***!
    is it some april's fool joke?
    merge immediately!
    or at least hire this guy... or dunno... what is it behind this? have you tested the radeon driver on it?

as i remember running gothic 2 on pre r300 graphic cards on single core cpu (~1,7GHz) with 1GB SD Ram, smoothly, with high details and 1600x1200 resolution. nowadays supertuxkart is barely fluently on x1650 with dualcore cpu and 2GB ddr1 ram on 1440x900 resolution. maybe i just got carried away, but thats more like the numbers im suspecting from graphics.

besides, what about supertuxkart? its an awesome game and runs on irrlicht engine. could be interesting for testing, couldnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      only openGL1 and only 32bit and only cloused source?

really.. how cares?

the future is openGL2 or higher

and 64bit or higher

and the future is opensource not closed source.
      I almost completely agree with you. My only difference with you, is that his architecture seems to be better than the current mesa's one, and if he can be employed to bring that to open source, I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
        ...if he can be employed to bring that to open source, I'm all for it.
        Yep, +1. Hire him immediately!

Comment

I think llvmpipe is more suited at emulating a programmable pipleline. OpenGL 1.4 is fixed pipeline so I'm guessing the developer can simplify a lot of the code

Comment

A library, that is closed source, fetching advertisements and translates opengl calls into proprietary directx?

Well that just sounds like a graphical rootkit!

Comment

Maybe a test for the actual image quality / rendering accuracy would be beneficial to the evaluation of the performance?

Comment

Who knows what the hell happens in that closed library? Maybe it's just a wrapper calling the OGL driver itself and maybe someone is trying to fool people with the excuse of the three euros...

The fact it doesn't work on VESA driver also is truly suspicious. If it is a fully software renderer, it MUST run on vesa driver, then others come.

Also look at the trend of Urban Terror v4.1 tests: going from 800x600 to 1024x768 both TitaniumGL and NVIDIA proprietary driver increase their numbers, instead LLVMpipe decreases (as it should be on a sane CPU-based renderer).

Comment

Don't forget, it's also spyware that pops open your browser and directs it to a site full of advertising each time you use it.

What is this? Windows?

Comment

personally i don't care if something like this is closed source, but the only reason why i'd like it to be open source is so people could compile it for other architectures - architectures that NEED it like PPC. the hardware limitations on this are pretty ridiculous tho.

i feel like amd's bulldozer cpus would perform great with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X