Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching from Nvidia GT520 to ATI HD5770 (what driver to use)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from Nvidia GT520 to ATI HD5770 (what driver to use)

My brother has a spare graphics card he wants to give me. It's a ATI HD5770. In my machine I currently have a Nvidia GT520 Silent. So my question if I switch my nvidia card for his ati card what driver should I use with it? The catalyst driver or the open source ati driver? I game on my machine quite a bit through wine (wow, bioshock, bioshock 2). Which driver would give me the best performance with games, I assume the catalyst driver would be best? I'm running Arch Linux 64 bit by the way.

Catalyst is your only option for Wine and heavy games.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Catalyst is your only option for Wine and heavy games.
      That's what I thought. Problem is that the catalyst driver isn't part of the official Arch Linux repo anymore and I am to lazy to maintain the package myself via AUR plus the latest driver doesn't support the last xorg...

Many thanks for the anwer

Comment

100% Catalyst

Comment

Based upon your priorities you should have bought nvidia card. Now, you will have fun between catalyst bugs and opensource underfunctionality. Some have fought it by installing & booting into ***** for gaming and relying on opensource in linux. With nvidia, you use linux as you want.
          AMD does pretty good job forcing people to choose between its hardware (amd) and linux (operating system).

If your goal was to write bugreports for wine however, then your choice is good (no irony).

Comment

if you downgrade xorg-server to version 1.11.x and use a kernel not newer than 3.2.x, then Catalyst driver 12.2 is probably better in your case than the free and open Radeon driver.

I read somewhere that wine developers mainly work and try to support with Nvidia hardware. At least Nvidia cards have higher priority for them than AMD/ATI cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
              I read somewhere that wine developers mainly work and try to support with Nvidia hardware. At least Nvidia cards have higher priority for them than AMD/ATI cards.
              This is because fglrx was serious crap pre 2009. They cannot support that is broken per definition. So if you think your fglrx drivers are now ok, publish bugs in wine bugtracker - no one forbids that.

Comment

Working...
              X