Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 12.2 For Linux Brings Few Changes

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 12.2 For Linux Brings Few Changes

AMD has released their belated Catalyst 12.2 Linux driver today. Unfortunately, it's not too exciting of a release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even for the Radeon HD 7950 that I'm testing under Linux and has been available for a while already, currently with the fglrx 8.95 release stream, it's still advertised as "unsupported hardware" via the pesky AMD watermark.
    This seems to contradict this post from the other 12.2 thread. Or is there a greater difference between 7970 and 7950 than one might expect?

Comment

grrrr great hardware, crap drivers. The drivers are ok for old cards, but they're crap as they aren't innovating enough for me to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        This seems to contradict this post from the other 12.2 thread. Or is there a greater difference between 7970 and 7950 than one might expect?
        I do not have the watermark in my 7970 (and there should not be any difference with the 7950), but maybe it is because I did not properly remove the previous driver that I had installed (that was the one with official support for 79x0).

Later I removed the content of /etc/ati/*, and reinstalled the 12.2 driver, now AMD CCC shows the correct versions, but watermark did not appear.

I think that Michael is just angry with AMD... and AMD is angry with Michael!

Comment

F**ked up my system...

It wasnt possible to build the .deb packages from fglrx 12.1 within Ubuntu 12.04. Now with fglrx 12.2 it was possible, so I installed the driver, but it totally fucked my system.
          I can only log into Unity 2D but it crashes and i do not have ANY Shell to interact with. I started a terminal with ctrl+alt+t and started Firefox in it...
          Moving Windows is terribly slow...
          My xorg.conf is identical(I created a new one via aticonfig --initial after driver installation) to the one I had with the fglrx version supported by Ubuntu.
          Anyone here, who can help me?

Comment

Originally posted by sacridex View Post
            It wasnt possible to build the .deb packages from fglrx 12.1 within Ubuntu 12.04. Now with fglrx 12.2 it was possible, so I installed the driver, but it totally fucked my system.
            I can only log into Unity 2D but it crashes and i do not have ANY Shell to interact with. I started a terminal with ctrl+alt+t and started Firefox in it...
            Moving Windows is terribly slow...
            My xorg.conf is identical(I created a new one via aticonfig --initial after driver installation) to the one I had with the fglrx version supported by Ubuntu.
            Anyone here, who can help me?
            You're using Unity? Haha, that's funny.

Seriously, though, sorry. That's crap. No matter how bad fglrx is, Unity is going to be as difficult as possible to work with any driver, let alone fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post

Seriously, though, sorry. That's crap. No matter how bad fglrx is, Unity is going to be as difficult as possible to work with any driver, let alone fglrx.
              What a productive comment. Thank you.

Comment

lolz...

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post

Unity works fine with every driver... Tested all of them.
                But it seems Ubuntu 12.04 is not supported by fglrx 12.1+ yet.
                So my question still exists: Any known workarounds?

Comment

Unity is far more broken than fglrx is.

It is more like it should be named 'Division' since it was the spark that caused strife and dissention in the X WM world.

Comment

AMD continues to disappoint!

AMD continues to disappoint!

I am so glad that I have a Nvidia card, not an AMD card.
                    My Nvidia card works good. Nvidia don't provide any open source drivers or help so I do not have any loyalty to them and will ditch them whenever.
                    Next card will definitely not be a AMD card, because AMD continues to disappoint.

Next card will be Nvidia or I will just go with an Intel CPU with integrated GPU. While it is regretful that Intel doesn't use Gallium3D, they do put a lot of development into their drivers and they do support Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X