No announcement yet.

TitaniumGL 3D drivers (linux version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a little bit sceptical about this project.

1) It doesn't seem to implement shaders and shaders are likely to make TitaniumGL bloody slow if such support is ever added. llvmpipe is shaders-only. There is no algorithm specifically optimized for some fixed-function pipeline configuration in llvmpipe.

2) I guess TitaniumGL does not strive for OpenGL correctness, which makes it not a viable permanent replacement for any GL driver.

3) TitaniumGL may be using X11 to accelerate some operations.

Regarding the Phoronix article:

A) Different compositing managers are used for TitaniumGL and llvmpipe (why?).

B) There is the nouveau DDX with TitaniumGL, but only Vesa with llvmpipe (why?).

C) The applications can take different actions for each driver, because they see that TitaniumGL has only GL 1.4 and llvmpipe has GL 2.1 and a half of 3.x features.

All in all, TitaniumGL is a nice project and has its purpose, but I don't think its code would be any useful to Mesa because of the points (1) and (2).
    Last edited by marek; 10 March 2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
      I am a little bit sceptical about this project.

1) It doesn't seem to implement shaders and shaders are likely to make TitaniumGL bloody slow if such support is ever added. llvmpipe is shaders-only. There is no algorithm specifically optimized for some fixed-function pipeline configuration in llvmpipe.

2) I guess TitaniumGL does not strive for OpenGL correctness, which makes it not a viable permanent replacement for any GL driver.

3) TitaniumGL may be using X11 to accelerate some operations.

Regarding the Phoronix article:

A) Different compositing managers are used for TitaniumGL and llvmpipe (why?).

B) There is the nouveau DDX with TitaniumGL, but only Vesa with llvmpipe (why?).

C) The applications can take different actions for each driver, because they see that TitaniumGL has only GL 1.4 and llvmpipe has GL 2.1 and a half of 3.x features.

All in all, TitaniumGL is a nice project and has its purpose, but I don't think its code would be any useful to Mesa because of the points (1) and (2).
      Who ever proposed merging it with Mesa?

1. It's closed source, so that throws that out the window

2. The code is very likely to be non-portable considering the amount of effort required to get it running on Win/FreeBSD/Linux, and since the Win32 code is so different (d3d backend), it may as well be a completely separate project

3. Even if the developer opened up the source code, it would take so much effort to integrate it with mesa/DRI/DRM that it'd be easier to rewrite it from scratch

4. The renderer seems to sacrifice accuracy/precision in the name of speed, and that's generally not how mesa rolls (at least not without making it a user-tunable option).

This is just more of the crazy Germans and their ray-tracing, software-rendering nonsense...

Does a chip even exist in the sub-$10,000 range which could draw a game like Mass Effect 3 at 60 fps at 1920x1080 in real-time using ray tracing, software rendering, or both? (We're assuming just the actual visual fidelity of a game like that, not THE actual game, because you'll say that the API it was coded in is fundamentally flawed blah blah).

Don't google it; I'll answer your question: No.
      Last edited by allquixotic; 10 March 2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

allquixotic: so you basically say that not even google was able to find someone who can do it.
        thankyou for the praise, this is sooo beautiful

Comment

I did not try it, but is it really needed to run firefox when you use it?
          Code:
          strings libGL.so.1 |sort -u|grep http
          firefox http://lgfxadserv.no-ip.org/titaniumgladssrvc/titaniumgladssrvc.php
          http://LegendgrafiX.tk
          http://TitaniumGL.tk
          that looks really ugly and a sed replacement would get rid of it anyway. Do you have got quake3 optimizsations in there? I mean because of
          Code:
          strings libGL.so.1 |sort -u|grep quake
          quake3
          quake3demo

Comment

I did not try it, but is it really needed to run firefox when you use it?
            you can disable it for 3 eur

Do you have got quake3 optimizsations in there
            it forced quake3 to a different path, but i think that does not any more happens

Comment

This is not freeware, it is adware.

Comment

Yes it is malware, because it calls external URLs from within itself. It is also written by windows guys.
                Actually I see that coming, as Geri is the one developing closed source game and refusing to opensource it even partially.
                The reason why it is closed source: they want to do anything they want (no limits), like running stolen GPL or proprietary code, call websites or open popups etc.

Lets see, if I can separate good intentions from bad. Can you set up official site (oh, you have one, good!), then require basically everyone using it to register.
                This is done by going to the website and getting SN for free. There are some ads. Goal achieved.

Now you can open your library, no?

If you answer with "No", this means our code uses hidden backdoors or contains illegal stuff (just like all proprietary drivers, lol).

Comment

You should ignore crazycheese. He's been trolling the forums since forever.

Comment

i know him ^^'

Comment

What has I written that was trolling? RealNC, you are by no means lesser troll!

Also, once the Ad-giver discoveres his Ads are being missused, because they are automatically triggered (and not by human - because they pay only for REAL clicks), this guy becomes real problems. Because he does it just like malware!

So, do you agree that you use stolen IP? Hehe, such a fun with proprietary, always! Everytime, pure freeware that refuses to go opensource is either stolen or has backdoors/killswitches.

Comment

Working...
                      X