Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New graphic card under 150?

HI,

I'm building a new system, and the only piece remaining is choosing the GPU. I really don't care if it's AMD or Nvidia, I want it to work with linux.
    It shall meet these requirements:
    - support 1920 x 1080 on the desktop without any trouble
    - support 1920 x 1080, for gamming (windows/linux) with at least 30 fps
    - doesn't interfere with the use of virtual machines (enable 3D on these would be great).
    - supporting a 2nd 1920x1080 is a bonus.
    - drivers open-source is also a bonus, but what I really want is use all of the card's potential.

ty,

If you want to spare yourself necessity to have windows installed for gaming: nvidia, anything 560ti/448 or similar. That saves you 100$ on windows crap box. So you can actually get more ram for your VMs or better cpu.

If you can tolerate crappy drivers and have to purchase microbloat: amd. The bonus is that you can probably use opencl more efficiently, as hardware is faster on lower level.

Open drivers are not your choice, because you want to squeeze everything. Intel "could?ve been", if they had better hardware. They dont.

Comment

I'm pretty sure i will need to have "doors" installed or on a VM, for work related reasons. And luckly I have a few free licenses.

And 150? is the limit, can't afford more than that. and 560TI is 175? at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        Sapphire Ultimate Radeon HD 7750, 1GB GDDR5
        LMAO. You despise Catalyst and you're recommending a card that's only going to work with Catalyst for the foreseeable future. Priceless..

Comment

Originally posted by diutsu View Post
          I'm pretty sure i will need to have "doors" installed or on a VM, for work related reasons. And luckly I have a few free licenses.

And 150€ is the limit, can't afford more than that. and 560TI is 175€ at least.
          Non-Ti version is 140 and you can buy Ti used for under 140.

If you already have doors installed and have no bad feeling booting into it, then I would ask if you need 3D functionality and to what degree. Ie define the term "efficient" in your request. If you don?t need efficient 3D or powersaving, you could go for good supported by opensource driver amd card and boot into **** for gaming.

As far as I know Virtualbox has expanded 3d support for VMs guests/hosts on all its clients.

Comment

Sorry about the long delay, but I had some troubles here, and had to push the buy once more.

GTX560 TI or Non-TI are both >170€, so they are out of the question.
            thus I only have 3 options:
            GTX550 TI for about 120€
            HD6850 for 130€
            and HD7770 for 150€

From the reviews (for wind$) that i've been seeing the HD6850 seems the best choice. Just wondering if AMD drivers for Linux will give me 3D for some "soft" games. As for more recent and demanding games i might just end instaling windows.

Comment

I am running a HD 6870 with no problems with the AMD Catalyst driver. But you will find that a lot of people on Phoronix will still recommend nVidia for Linux usage (I am not one of them).

Comment

A graphic card also called video card is an external digital micro card added in your system to enhance 2D and 3D scenes of your output screen. It generates the feed of images to be displayed on the screen.

Comment

Thanks, SpamBot!

Originally posted by sbglobal2012 View Post
                  A graphic card also called video card is an external digital micro card added in your system to enhance 2D and 3D scenes of your output screen. It generates the feed of images to be displayed on the screen.
                  Thanks again for the clarification; didn't know this one yet!

Comment

nvidia card will give you better fps and vdpau with the blob. If you want to do everything on linux and only linux, the nvidia card is better.

amd blob isn't far off nvidia, but they're slowing in rolling out new support.

amd card should have better open source support. Its not terrible by any means, but a lack of good video decode, less performance, whilst a better desktop experience.

I'd like to recommend AMD because they're working on OSS and doing a good job, and I feel they offer better cards for the money and the card is more likely to be supported in the future (by the OSS efforts). However if you must have the very best now, nvidia edges it. I dual boot a 5850.

Comment

Working...
                    X