HDTV component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV component

Hi! I don't know if here is the right place to ask, but ...

I'm using my e-GeForce 7600GT to play games and see movies on my Philips 29" HDTV CRT (29PT8422). The games and movies are great in 720p or 1080i and I love this.

But I'm curious about why I can't use my HDTV like a real monitor. If I try, I can't read anything, only in 480p it becomes readable, but this is not a comfortable resolution to desktop usage. At 720p and 1080i, the fonts are extremely unreadable, because they are extremely tiny.
    I see people using big LCD or Plasma TVs as monitors, so why can't I use my CRT HDTV as a real monitor too?
    Is simple because the CRT is crappy old technology or is some specific X.org configuration to make the things readable?

Thanks to any help.

Somewhere...one of the settings that controls the desktop probably, there will be an adjustment for screen dpi. Normally its 72 or 96 depending upon screen size, but I'm old and like 102 on my 19 inch LCD. You probably want around 180 or 200 for your TB set, especially if you sit at any distance at all away.

In Ubuntu it's at system > preferences > appearnace > fonts > details.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I tried setting the DPI with the DisplaySize and the Option DPI, both are xorg.conf settings and are explained on nVidia Docs.
      On a resolution of 1280x720p, I tried 76x76, 100x100, 200x200, 300x300, 400x400 and 500x500 DPI but I'm unable to see any difference. Only from 76x76 against higher DPI I can see a very very little difference, maybe because it changes the use of installed fonts of 76DPI and 100DPI.

There is any one here that uses a CRT HDTV Monitor to tell me if it is possible?

Comment

Well i don`t know does this help you anything, but i have succes by using openSUSE 10.3 and nvidia 8600GTS and VLC-player and watching some film by 720p on my ordinary hyundai 17" tft screen and using dvi-cable.
        And i guess it is some point possible but debends few things like what decoder are you using and so on.

Comment

Done!

Hi people! First thanks for the replys!
          Playing around with this last weekend, I disacovered that the Option DPI is all I need, but it don?t work with twinview. When I launch another X session with the edited xorg.conf the DPI works and now I can read KDE text at 1280x720p.
          If someone whants to use HDTV as Monitor too, the essential configs are HD720P and DPI "150x150" and launch this xorg.conf in another session (alt+f8), I like to use the Xgame app to help with this.

Happy Christmas!!!

Comment

Working...
          X