Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Java-Based X11 Server Comes To Android

Phoronix: A Java-Based X11 Server Comes To Android

An X Server written against the X11 protocol in Java has been made available for Google's Android platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I generally don't bash Java or Android, but this sounds like it's going to be the slowest thing ever imaginable.

Comment

Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
      I generally don't bash Java or Android, but this sounds like it's going to be the slowest thing ever imaginable.
      I dont usually bash stupid comments, but its not Java. Its Dalvik. Huge difference.

Comment

It's a good thing he didn't ask you then, isn't it?

Personally I know this is going to kick ass. Now finally I can run Debian in a chroot on my phone with a native display manager. No more having to use VNC if I want gui programs.

Comment

X11 is a big protocol, but perhaps not all parts of it need to be implemented.
          The legacy parts that aren't used on modern systems.

What about Wayland on Android?

Comment

There already existed several X servers in Java, such as:

Might've been easier to port one of those instead of starting afresh methinks

Comment

Wow

All I can say is wow!

Sheer bloodymindedness indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                Personally I know this is going to kick ass. Now finally I can run Debian in a chroot on my phone with a native display manager. No more having to use VNC if I want gui programs.
                I do think that you hit the nail on the head!!!!
                The fact is that the missing links are already implemented.

Comment

Limited use

But this is only an implementation of X11.
                  It is not a full feature-complete implementation, it still has work to do left. But it is promising.

But it does not have Xlib, so you can't run any applications on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lzap View Post
                    I dont usually bash stupid comments, but its not Java. Its Dalvik. Huge difference.
                    Indeed.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                    However, tests performed on ARM devices by Oracle with standard non-graphical Java benchmarks on both Android 2.2 and Java SE embedded (both based on Java SE 6) showed that Android 2.2 was 2 to 3 times slower than Java SE embedded.
                    Sorry, couldn't resist trolling.

When is someone going to write an X11 server in Python or Perl?

Comment

Working...
                    X