Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalvik sucks

Originally posted by lzap View Post
    I dont usually bash stupid comments, but its not Java. Its Dalvik. Huge difference.
    That is true, Dalvik sucks performance wise compared to Java SE Embedded.

https://blogs.oracle.com/javaseembed...va_se_embedded

Comment

Originally posted by Joker_ View Post
      That is true, Dalvik sucks performance wise compared to Java SE Embedded.

https://blogs.oracle.com/javaseembed...va_se_embedded
      Which means Android could certainly be much faster... Maybe as fast as iOS on the same architecture?

Comment

Android 2.2? That's pretty old, and it was the first release to feature a JIT. It would be much more interesting to see how Android 4.0 stacks up.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Android 2.2? That's pretty old, and it was the first release to feature a JIT. It would be much more interesting to see how Android 4.0 stacks up.
          I know, things might have changed since then but my actual point was that if someone claims Dalvik to be superior, one should provide at least some numbers to back that up. Making arbitrary claims that Java is slow, is just plain stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            Personally I know this is going to kick ass. Now finally I can run Debian in a chroot on my phone with a native display manager. No more having to use VNC if I want gui programs.
            Not really. Given that this lacks the Damage, GE/XI2, SHM, RandR, Render, Shape, Sync, XC-Misc, Fixes, and XKB extensions, you'll have a very hard time running anything at all whatsoever. Even if anything does run, it'd be dog slow due to lack of SHM in particular. Unless you just want xterm/xclock/xeyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Joker_ View Post
              I know, things might have changed since then but my actual point was that if someone claims Dalvik to be superior, one should provide at least some numbers to back that up. Making arbitrary claims that Java is slow, is just plain stupid.
              Uh, who claimed this? The only specific performance claim I have seen is that dalvik is much slower than java.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                Uh, who claimed this? The only specific performance claim I have seen is that dalvik is much slower than java.
                Look at the first two comments. First comment makes pretty explicit claim that Java is slow and the second one says that it is not (Sun) Java but Dalvik and that there is a huge difference. I, at least, understand this as an implicit claim that Dalvik is superior performance wise. Feel free to correct me.

Comment

Wow, Thanks for sharing this

Comment

Working...
                  X