Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Unveils Wine 1.4-based CrossOver XI

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Unveils Wine 1.4-based CrossOver XI

CodeWeavers has today unveiled CrossOver XI as their latest Wine-based commercial software to run Windows programs under Linux and Mac OS X systems. Besides being based upon Wine 1.4, there's several other fundamental differences with this new product...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    CrossOver XI Linux is available at a cost of $49.95 USD from CodeWeavers.com, which includes six months of updates and support.
    Which is a shitty deal and I recommend people to stay away from it. 50 bucks for only six months of updates. Jesus...

Comment

I agree. I've had a license a couple of years ago but honestly didn't find much use for it. Mind you, I don't hate MS so I run Windows software on MS platforms. I don't mind supporting the effort but the deal just isn't attractive enough.n

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Which is a shitty deal and I recommend people to stay away from it. 50 bucks for only six months of updates. Jesus...
        Only six months of updates is not too much, but at the same time, the product is good. We used Crossover Pro at my old employer to run a PDF OCR program against documents which had been scanned to PDF. Worked wonderfully for us, and saved us countless hours of reading the documents ourselves in a search for the keywords we were looking for. Once we got it running correctly, we left the version alone and never upgraded it again.

Comment

Is this really any better then regular Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            You get discounts if you keep renewing it...

Anyway, they are deepely involved in the wine project, paying their salaries helps the wine project a lot.

Comment

I have no idea where the 50 dollars is based on, if I now go to my codeweaver profile and check my support extension I can renew it for 12 months for 29,95.... maybe its because of the renew option I don't know. But as the previous poster said, they do a lot for Wine and I see it as my way of thanking them for their work.

Comment

However much it costs (disputed I gather!!) for CrossOver it's got remembered that it is also beneficial to the upstream Wine project that CodeWeavers stays afloat (since they provide the WineHQ hosting)...

Comment

Working...
                X