Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Mesa's requirements "jumped the shark"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Mesa's requirements "jumped the shark"?

Just tried to compile Mesa from git on Fedora 16, and was told that I needed 'xcb-dri2 version 1.8'.

So I download libxcb-1.8-2.fc17.src.rpm from Fedora's development repository and try to recompile it for F16, only to be told:

error: Failed build dependencies:
    graphviz is needed by libxcb-1.8-2.fc16.i686
    xcb-proto >= 1.6 is needed by libxcb-1.8-2.fc16.i686

xcb-proto I can understand, but what On Earth is "graphviz"? And WTF do I need it just to compile Mesa?

I have no idea what "graphviz" might demand before I can compile it, but its source RPM is 19M and so I'm guessing "humber_bridge.src.rpm", and possibly "hanging_gardens_of_babylon-2.0.src.rpm".

So it's not a Mesa requirement, but one from libxcb.

FWIW, graphviz is used for building graphs, needed by the documentation packages. I'm guessing you can disable building the docs, I also fail to see why you need to build graphviz itself from source.

Edit: --disable-build-docs
    Last edited by whizse; 05 March 2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Because I'm trying to build RPMs from SRPMs.

This is an RPM-based system, so I'm trying to build F16-friendly RPMs using the SRPMs from F17. Experience teaches to rebuild these packages from source to avoid any incompatibility issues from running F17 binaries on an earlier system.

Comment

Yes, but doesn't it build with graphviz from F16? Are you planning on backporting the whole dependency chain?

Comment

Unfortunately, it does not.

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          Yes, but doesn't it build with graphviz from F16? Are you planning on backporting the whole dependency chain?
          I'm not planning of back-porting anything, but this package is certainly not building with F16's toolchain.

Comment

Taking a source package from a newer distro release and recompiling it for an older system is basically what backporting is.

Comment

Then I'll rephrase...

I'm not planning on hacking any F17 .spec files so that a package rebuilds correctly on F16.

Comment

Google says there is a Fedora 16 package of graphviz. You'll need to install it manually, probably (unless yum is a LOT smarter than apt)--at least with apt, the build-dependencies that you get are those of the repository version.
                It should work--I used the version that shipped with Squeeze to backport libxcb 1.8 to build mesa-git.
                That was much older than what you have (Squeeze ~=F12 to F13)

BTW-remember to install everything from xcb-proto, or build will fail with some bizarre python errors.
                At least on Debian, you need xcb-proto 1.7+.
                That built fairly easily.

Used to be that you could disable xcb...

Also, be sure to get libdrm 2.4.31!

FWIW: Building mesa-git with video decode enabled on squeeze
                Debian, but it might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                  Also, be sure to get libdrm 2.4.31
                  This broke my method of building mesa from git. I used to build drm/ddx/mesa from git, but I stopped that a long time ago since it was just mesa I wanted to be from git. Now, I'm waiting patiently for libdrm2 2.4.31 in Debian unstable. I tried installing drm from git, but the mesa build still complains that libdrm = 2.4.30

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    This broke my method of building mesa from git. I used to build drm/ddx/mesa from git, but I stopped that a long time ago since it was just mesa I wanted to be from git. Now, I'm waiting patiently for libdrm2 2.4.31 in Debian unstable. I tried installing drm from git, but the mesa build still complains that libdrm = 2.4.30
                    It's pretty easy to build your own packages using the debian packaging.

You could even grab the packaging scripts directly from git:
                    http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=...lib/libdrm.git (There's initial support for .31 there)

Comment

Working...
                    X