Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 Released

Arriving just days after the first alpha release of the Beefy Miracle, the beta was published today for the upcoming "Precise Pangolin" operating system, a.k.a. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Afaik Precise Beta ships the final release of LibreOffice 3.5, not the beta one, since 3.5 has been officially released quite a while ago.

Comment

I've been running Precise Alpha 2 on my AMD Fusion (more specifically, A8-3850) HTPC for a bit. The only substantial gripe I have -- considering that it's been alpha -- is that HDMI audio doesn't seem to work with the open-source driver (and due to the blender of AMD model numbers vs. codenames, I'm not sure whether it should or not).

That, and I don't really care for Unity. But if Alt+F2 works, I don't obsess too much over the GUI concept since I'm mostly running XBMC.

So I guess what I'm saying is "Ubuntu 12.04 might not be a manifest disaster". Does that qualify as damning with faint praise?

Comment

My next Ubuntu 12.4 is Open Suse 12.1

I happend to have been a Kubuntu user for a long time, but since Kubuntu is going away after 12.4 I decided to switch to OpenSuse 12.1. Other then a little bit of a learning curve with the rpm package system it uses (yum), I am very happy with it

If Ubuntu ever reaches its aspirations of being a first rate phone/tablet/tv I may give it a try in one of these products. But for now I need Linux Desktop computing, which is some thng Ubuntu really just isn't interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
          I happend to have been a Kubuntu user for a long time, but since Kubuntu is going away after 12.4 I decided to switch to OpenSuse 12.1.
          You are the kind of person that only spreads FUD. Kubuntu is not going away.

Comment

Canonical is dropping financial support for Kubuntu, that is all. They're not actively stopping development. Afaik they only had one paid developer working on Kubuntu anyway, so it's not like they're removing a huge amount of manpower.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
              I've been running Precise Alpha 2 on my AMD Fusion (more specifically, A8-3850) HTPC for a bit. The only substantial gripe I have -- considering that it's been alpha -- is that HDMI audio doesn't seem to work with the open-source driver (and due to the blender of AMD model numbers vs. codenames, I'm not sure whether it should or not).
              Since kernel 3.0 HDMI is disabled by default. Some people seem to experience "blank screens" with it...

Since kernel 3.0, upstream has disabled audio output for all ATI cards in the Radeon driver by default. === Workaround 1 === Edit /etc/default/grub and change this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to this line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1" Now run "sudo update-grub", then reboot your computer. === Or workaround 2 === Install the proprietary Catalyst driver. === There's no sound at all and videos playback in fast forward when outputting thro...

tl;dr: You need to load the radeon module with "radeon.audio=1".

Comment

Originally posted by siban View Post
                You are the kind of person that only spreads FUD. Kubuntu is not going away.
                That's true and Kubuntu 12.04 will have long term support. There's a chance it will become even better now.

Comment

...the default music player is back to using GNOME's Rhythmbox.
                  I'm getting dizzy over these changes. Back and forth, back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                    I happend to have been a Kubuntu user for a long time, but since Kubuntu is going away after 12.4 I decided to switch to OpenSuse 12.1. Other then a little bit of a learning curve with the rpm package system it uses (yum), I am very happy with it
                    I guess you'll be missing dist-upgrade in about 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X