Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 17 "Beefy Miracle" Is On The Alpha Menu

Phoronix: Fedora 17 "Beefy Miracle" Is On The Alpha Menu

Fedora 17, which is codenamed the Beefy Miracle, is now up to its alpha milestone with many new features for this exciting Red Hat sponsored release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Read the errata!

Quick note for anyone interested in trying this out: we're really not joking about the Common Bugs page:

You're definitely going to want to read it. Sometimes the stars align and Alpha / Beta builds are very solid, near production quality stuff. This is not one of those times F17 Alpha is a very Alpha-y alpha. It has giant bugs you would never expect to see in a production release. Most of the really big ones are documented on the common bugs page, with explanations and workarounds. So before you complain that sound doesn't work (we know!) or the installer falls over if you have another distro installed (we know!), please read the Common Bugs page:

Thanks folks.

Michael, it'd be great if you could possibly add a link to the common bugs page to the story, just to let people know what they're in for.

Comment

Is there going to be a software center like in Ubuntu? I liked Fedora 16 except for the lack of a convenient software download center.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Is there going to be a software center like in Ubuntu? I liked Fedora 16 except for the lack of a convenient software download center.
        The idea's been kicked around on the devel mailing list several times, and there were some reasonably advanced plans at some point, but I don't know if anyone's actively working on it at present. It's not a feature planned for F17.

There is a graphical software installer, of course, but it would be nice to have something that lists only graphical applications and presents them with screenshots and detailed descriptions and ratings etc; it's certainly something it would be possible to write.

Comment

I hope the Fedora software center won't be written in a scripted language like in Ubuntu.

Also, I really like that Fedora is pushing the D (2) programming language (and Vala too).

Comment

Unified file system

About this unified file system thing of moving /bin, /sbin, /lib and /lib64 into /usr/, I don't know if its a good idea or a bad idea.

What does Rob Pike, Ken Thompson, and Brian Kernighan think about this?'

The website mentions "Improved compatibility with other Unixes (in particular Solaris)", but what about BSD, HP-UX, IBM AIX, GNU, Mac OS X, and Plan 9 from Bell Labs?
            The website mentions "Multiple other Linux distributions have been working in a similar direction." but does not mention any by name.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              About this unified file system thing of moving /bin, /sbin, /lib and /lib64 into /usr/, I don't know if its a good idea or a bad idea.

What does Rob Pike, Ken Thompson, and Brian Kernighan think about this?'

The website mentions "Improved compatibility with other Unixes (in particular Solaris)", but what about BSD, HP-UX, IBM AIX, GNU, Mac OS X, and Plan 9 from Bell Labs?
              The website mentions "Multiple other Linux distributions have been working in a similar direction." but does not mention any by name.
              Since /bin and /sbin will be symlinks to /usr/{bin,sbin}, all binaries will be available there. The current situation is that some binaries are not available in the same place as other *nixes.

The Arch Linux developers have discussed moving in this direction and have started work on it: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.arch.devel/17040/.

Note: a separate /usr is now supported with an initramfs hook.
              Last edited by strcat; 29 February 2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Me things that Michael's obsession with repeating the F17 code name OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, may suggest a focus of repressed sexual urges.

Comment

Working...
                X