New Wake Locks Patches Published For Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
    And how do you download all of these things, if your particulare network card isn't supported ootb? This sounds pretty much like what Windows is doing. I have a dual boot setup and on a fresh install I always have to use Linux to download all kinds of things (like network drivers) to get Windows into a usable state. On the other hand, my Linux installation just works.
    I think the main point about kernel size is aimed towards maintenance. The larger your code base the more difficult it gets to maintain. But it's not something the user needs to be primarily concerned about.
    Either get yourself a distro that comes with a "reasonable" kernel or, yes, do build it yourself if you're concerned about getting the best possible performance. To be honest, the only place I still do this is my router, to add support for HW encryption (Via Padlock).
    well obviously stuff like network drivers and other essentials like keyboards would be supported by default. but like i said, the average distro would come with most of the necessary drivers and you just uninstall any extras you don't use (if you so choose) or install what has not been included but not necessary to get a functional system.

@cyborg16
    see, that's exactly what i needed clarification on, and so what you described i think is pretty cool and is something that would be a great addition to the kernel.

Comment

Your distribution of choice can and should be handling this aspect, why remove them from the kernel source and make it harder for those building images for less popular configurations when your only problem is with what *.ko files are installed on your system?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
        I think you're totally missing something, yes. This isn't S3 suspend-to-RAM or whatever, this is suspending just the CPU to put the device into a low-power mode like Android does ? these wake/sleep cycles could take place several times a second if necessary. "Wake Locks" are signals that something requires processing either now or at some specified time in the future; any CPU jobs without Wake Locks are assumed not to require computation immediately, so if nothing else is locking the CPU "awake", the device can go to sleep and save some power.
        That's what I thought at first, but the article wasn't exactly clear on that. I did some searching through Google, but couldn't find any clear "evidence" either way. In any case, it does sound like a nice feature.

@schmidtbag: Isn't that, what a modular kernel is for? The kernel contains just the bare essentials, everything else is a module that is loaded on demand. All you're "wasting" by having modules you never use is a little disk space. I'd rather have some "useless" modules on my disk instead of having to recompile my kernel after buying some new hardware.

Comment

I hope this patch doesn't introduce additional latency (that's usually the case with low-power states).

Comment

Working...
          X