No announcement yet.

AMD Will Properly Support KWin With Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does somebody really think that there will be a fix in less than 3 month?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      its a deal between the linux devs and the hardware companys the deal is they get linux drivers and specs if they support obsolescence this means linux users have to buy new hardware everytime its time to buy new hardware to support the obsolescence to make sure the hardware companys get the linux support payed.

you know? life isn't for free linux isn't communism you know?
      Of course life isn't for free. But, supposedly, there are legal safeguards against monopoly. That's free market. Software patents and the like are reaching a point where they threaten to abolish free market. And those are precisely the things preventing manufacturers from releasing the source for their products.

BTW, if you REALLY want a Communist Linux distro, download this. But beware; you'll need to read advanced Spanish to reach this page... Venezuelan Spanish, to be precise.

http://canaima.softwarelibre.gob.ve/ - Canaima GNU/Linux, the official distro of Hugo Ch?vez himself.

Comment

its a deal between the linux devs and the hardware companys the deal is they get linux drivers and specs if they support obsolescence this means linux users have to buy new hardware everytime its time to buy new hardware to support the obsolescence to make sure the hardware companys get the linux support payed.
        you know? life isn't for free linux isn't communism you know?
        Can you proove it? Not a big deal if this is paid commits to opensource software.. problems will arise if this practice/destroy functionality will became common, compat commits rejected or api will bent in way this will be too hard. Question is not in pay.. but rather will you like to live with corporate product?

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          But beware; you'll need to read advanced Spanish to reach this page... Venezuelan Spanish, to be precise.
          Venezuelan spanish is the same that spanish

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyDrake View Post
            Linux market share grows on desktop -> Xorg old drivers purge -> Kernel KMS+some old hw support drop(starting from device list clean) -> Mesa old drivers purge -> Kwin GL1 purge
            [...]
            I don't see a reason instead of being paid to shoot in own foot.
            You know, that's the way to the future; there exists some enterprise distros that are going to be supported for long. Get rid of the dead weights!

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            BTW, if you REALLY want a Communist Linux distro, download this.
            Oh c'mon, Chavez is nothing but a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              At this moment gallium is just not feasable for AMD gpu's for fulltime desktop usage. It is for testing it out for some hours. Sure, this state will improve but that needs time - lots of it - and till that point the catalyst driver (however crappy it is) is still the better choice.. sad but true.
              I'd have to disagree there. I tried to use Catalyst on my workstation at work (Ubuntu 11.10, Radeon 5400-series, i7-2600, dual monitor via DVI splitter-adapter, gnome shell). No matter what I did, I couldn't get the multi-monitor situation to work correctly (It wouldn't even detect the second screen properly). I swapped in the OSS radeon driver that came with Ubuntu 11.10, and everything has been working perfectly.

At home I have 3 Radeon-based machines, and they are all running the r600g driver, and they're all working great.

Home:
              - Desktop: Phenom II X6 w/ Radeon 6850, Ubuntu 11.10 w/ xorg-edgers
              - Work-only machine: Phenom II X3 720, Radeon 3200 (780G), Mint 12 RC
              - HTPC: Llano 3600-series miniITX, Mythbuntu 11.10

All of these machines are perfectly stable, and since I boot to windows on my desktop for gaming, the performance is fine for me. r600g is perfectly fine for all-day desktop use for me, except when I want to play SW:TOR, which doesn't work in Wine anyway (last I checked).

Comment

i think martin dropping opengl 1.x is a good idea, but i think he should do it for the kde 5.0 release - that would make a nice transition. but, perhaps he's bringing this up now because he knows amd will take a long time, and by the time they finish fixing up their drivers for kwin, kde 5 will work nicely.

being a catalyst and kwin compositing user myself, i'm not exactly pleased that i might have to go a little while with that stuff disabled, but i can wait if it means the code is cleaner and more efficient.

if the catalyst drivers already support all future versions of opengl, why exactly would it take so long to fix kwin compositing on them? i feel like it should just be a few tweaks here and there and it'll work. i don't know much about the in-depth details, but i feel like if the catalyst drivers can't even support kwin then shouldn't there be a lot worse issues with them?

Comment

All that fuss for a stupid window manager...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Does somebody really think that there will be a fix in less than 3 month?
                    Where is 3 months coming from? The original blog said support wouldn't be dropped until at least 2013.

Comment

Mafia always operate in the secret. If you can prove it you are are already death!
                      so no i can't prove it and i don't want to prove it. but..... wikipedia can prove it....
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolescence
                      I agree on one thing: this obsolesce is artificial,not naturally evolved,reduce existing consumer freedom/functionality,not really nessesary.

Comment

Working...
                      X