AMD Will Properly Support KWin With Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I don't buy AMD

I want to buy AMD, but I won't and this is why.

With Intel you got open-source hardware support in the kernel even before the chipset is available in store, so when you go pick it up in the store it is immediatly supported out-of-the-box.

The Nvidia proprietary graphics device driver works great, except for lack of support of kernel mode setting (KMS) and XRandR. It always support the latest hardware, and releases are relatively quick to catch up with X.org ABI changes.

With AMD it never supports the latest graphics cards and it lags behind X.org ABI changes so much that they end up holding back Linux due to distributions not shipping the latest X.org due to AMD not having a device driver out that supports it.

GL1, AMD are you kidding me?!

Comment

Venezuelan spanish is the same that spanish

Agreed, I'm Chilean and I went through the page reading everything without problems. The most difficult one is the one spoken by a minority in Europe, and even that one is quite easy.

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
      Venezuelan spanish is the same that spanish

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I want to buy AMD, but I won't and this is why.

With Intel you got open-source hardware support in the kernel even before the chipset is available in store, so when you go pick it up in the store it is immediatly supported out-of-the-box.

The Nvidia proprietary graphics device driver works great, except for lack of support of kernel mode setting (KMS) and XRandR. It always support the latest hardware, and releases are relatively quick to catch up with X.org ABI changes.

With AMD it never supports the latest graphics cards and it lags behind X.org ABI changes so much that they end up holding back Linux due to distributions not shipping the latest X.org due to AMD not having a device driver out that supports it.

GL1, AMD are you kidding me?!
        This.
        Linux drivers and OpenGL performance have been on ATI's todo list since forever. Good hardware without proper hardware support is a job half-done. That's why it's always nvidia for me. Hell, nvidia even had time to develop VDPAU years ago, which proved to be a very successful library right from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          This.
          Linux drivers and OpenGL performance have been on ATI's todo list since forever.
          Actually OpenGL performance is quite good with fglrx EXCEPT in composited desktops. There it sucks ass. With all of them (Gnome Shell, Compiz, KWin). I mean, it's really really bad, to the point that an Atom N270 netbook with it's crappy GMA950 offers EXACTLY the same desktop experience as much more powerful Radeon HDs from AMD (namely the HD4200 which is what I have tested, both with fglrx and radeon).

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Actually OpenGL performance is quite good with fglrx EXCEPT in composited desktops. There it sucks ass. With all of them (Gnome Shell, Compiz, KWin). I mean, it's really really bad, to the point that an Atom N270 netbook with it's crappy GMA950 offers EXACTLY the same desktop experience as much more powerful Radeon HDs from AMD (namely the HD4200 which is what I have tested, both with fglrx and radeon).
            Depends on what you mean by "quite good". Afaik, their OpenGL performance lags behind Direct3D. With nvidia, they're usually on par (I get 34fps in unigine 2.5 in dx11 and 31fps in opengl mode). I'd ve happy to hear AMD has closed this gap, but I haven't seen many OpenGL tests lately and none that compared directly to DX.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Where is 3 months coming from? The original blog said support wouldn't be dropped until at least 2013.
              Because if AMD fix the bug today. then the fix is at the earliest in 3 month in in the driver release.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Afaik, their OpenGL performance lags behind Direct3D.
                I don't use windows so I have no way of testing that. However I found this article a few months old where OpenGL performance with Ubuntu was better than Windows. I also remember seeing some post a few months ago in the forums where a user was getting numbers similar to yours (with nVidia) with Catalyst.

Comment

You said...
                  Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
                  And if indeed AMD is working in fixing their driver, how long would they take?
                  ..and you were serious! Thanks for making me spit out my coffee in laughter!

Comment

Better hope it doesn't take them as long as it did to fix catalyst's issues with gnome-shell LOL.

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    Yeah, that's why I got intel with my new laptop. Spotty performance with compiz, and totally not working with gnome-shell. My old laptop has an hd2600 with 512mb of dedicated vram. The integrated ironlake graphics on this laptop give me better performance with compiz/mutter/kwin. I don't play any games so the dedicated card was just becoming a burden anyway. So glad I no longer have to use any proprietary drivers.
                    Last edited by bwat47; 26 February 2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi
                      venezuelan spanish is the same that spanish
                      Originally posted by jgardia View Post
                      agreed, i'm chilean and i went through the page reading everything without problems. The most difficult one is the one spoken by a minority in europe, and even that one is quite easy.

: D

Comment

Working...
                      X