Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Will Properly Support KWin With Catalyst

Hybrid View

Default AMD Will Properly Support KWin With Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Will Properly Support KWin With Catalyst

For those AMD Catalyst users that were concerned by the recent statements of Martin Grlin that KWin will likely end up dropping their GL1 renderer, which would eliminate vintage GPU hardware support as well as Catalyst driver support, fear not...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2MjY

Default Rant!

Dropping the GL1 renderer right now would mean those Catalyst driver users with even the latest Radeon HD 6000/7000 series hardware would be faced by a challenging experience on the KDE desktop.
    Oh give me a break!
    Martin said plenty of times on his blog post that dropping OpenGL 1.x wouldn't mean much for most of the people. There are XRender, and llvmpipe is in the works. Also I can use KWin without compositing, so not an issue here. And if I inevitably need compositing in KDE and Catalyst, I could always stick with 4.8.

I think the most interesting of all this topic is the little fight between Martin and a Fedora Dev for including KDE 4.0 in that distro.

Cool AMD. Now I know I can update to 7000 series once the drivers support that in coming months.

Basicially there are preview drivers for hd 7 series. But i would prefer to wait for nv series 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Basicially there are preview drivers for hd 7 series. But i would prefer to wait for nv series 6.
    because PhysX is the right stuff to play nativ-linux games?

He mentioned me.
    For all the news submits that i've done (including this one)..

Thanks Michael

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Cool AMD. Now I know I can update to 7000 series once the drivers support that in coming months.
    i bet on this: the opensource radeon driver support hd7000 faster with openCL support and minimum openGL3.3 than the catalyst fix the KDE stuff

catalyst? how cares?

Quote Originally Posted by bachinchi View Post
    Oh give me a break!
    Martin said plenty of times on his blog post that dropping OpenGL 1.x wouldn't mean much for most of the people. There are XRender, and llvmpipe is in the works. Also I can use KWin without compositing, so not an issue here. And if I inevitably need compositing in KDE and Catalyst, I could always stick with 4.8.

I think the most interesting of all this topic is the little fight between Martin and a Fedora Dev for including KDE 4.0 in that distro.
    You.. are narrow minded!
    Yes, you can indeed stick to KDE 4.8 "for some time" as in a few month. After that you keep getting more and more updates and eventually you simply have to update because of other packages.

Using XRender is absolutely not an option!

Using llvmpipe/gallium is the narrow minded part. Going for that option indeed does work and gives you a quite good desktop experience, however you lose a lot of other things! If you want to play some game then it's probably not going to work. You can forget high graphics performance, you always have a very noisy loud GPU fan... At this moment gallium is just not feasable for AMD gpu's for fulltime desktop usage. It is for testing it out for some hours. Sure, this state will improve but that needs time - lots of it - and till that point the catalyst driver (however crappy it is) is still the better choice.. sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    You.. are narrow minded!
    Yes, you can indeed stick to KDE 4.8 "for some time" as in a few month. After that you keep getting more and more updates and eventually you simply have to update because of other packages.

Using XRender is absolutely not an option!

Using llvmpipe/gallium is the narrow minded part. Going for that option indeed does work and gives you a quite good desktop experience, however you lose a lot of other things! If you want to play some game then it's probably not going to work. You can forget high graphics performance, you always have a very noisy loud GPU fan... At this moment gallium is just not feasable for AMD gpu's for fulltime desktop usage. It is for testing it out for some hours. Sure, this state will improve but that needs time - lots of it - and till that point the catalyst driver (however crappy it is) is still the better choice.. sad but true.
    Well, I sounded like an ass there, it's just that sometimes "news" like this angers me. For a comment in an unofficial bug tracker. And if indeed AMD is working in fixing their driver, how long would they take?

And it's true that fglrx is better than radeon driver, I am not a free-tard. It's just annoying that propietary blobs always take so long to support the "new staff" (ie new X.Org versions).

You said...
    Quote Originally Posted by bachinchi View Post
    And if indeed AMD is working in fixing their driver, how long would they take?
    ..and you were serious! Thanks for making me spit out my coffee in laughter!