Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Linux Kernel Drivers To User-Space? Nope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Linux Kernel Drivers To User-Space? Nope.

Phoronix: Moving Linux Kernel Drivers To User-Space? Nope.

Brought up on the Linux kernel mailing list this week was a short-lived discussion whether Linux device drivers should be moved from kernel-space to user-space in an attempt to provide "greater security and robustness" of Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How could device drivers be moved outside kernel space?
    It sounds a bit silly to me, then there should be an interface to give full access to hardware directly from userspace, then it would be even nastier than having some badly programmed drivers.

Are there some advantages I can't really see?

Comment

i have like 5h thinking about and i reached like 3billions reason not to do it but 0 to do it

maybe im too missing something, what i dont trully see is how userspace drivers can improve security at all instead of create a hellbend of security problems

Comment

I'm sure you could improve security with user-space drivers, but you probably need (or at least would like) to work from the beginning (iow, when you first start designing your kernel) with secure user-space drivers in mind. Otherwise, I'd guess it's like wrestling an elephant into another elephant. o_o

Comment

what i dont trully see is how userspace drivers can improve security at all instead of create a hellbend of security problems
          The user space driver is restricted to by the means of process isolation to only access the target hardware/ressource, can not mess with the kernel as kernel drivers could do any time. You know the blobs from nvidia and co.

Care to elaborarte what security problems arise from this?

Comment

The main advantage of having video drivers in user space is that neither software nor hardware faults in the video system can cause the kernel to hang -- at worst the process will hang, and the kernel can terminate it. I think Windows Vista and onwards do something like this.

The problem is that you need a carefully designed interface, which is a bit hard to jerry-rig into something like the Linux kernel at this point. You'll also take a considerable performance penalty, and maintaining the interface will be a pain.

In terms of security, I see very little or no benefit -- if you can't trust your video driver, you're hosed anyway, since it can present anything to the user to trick them into doing whatever.

Therefore, I think the main benefit is stability.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
              Therefore, I think the main benefit is stability.
              I don't how Windows 7 is organized with respect to drivers in kernel/user space that but I've seen it do sth really awesome - recover from graphics driver crash. In my case the crash seems to have been caused by faulty hardware because exchanging the graphics card for an identical one fixed the issue. But it was impressive nonetheless.

Comment

Drivers are like internal organs, kernel is like brain. Even if you drive your organs from your mind, you will still die if they fail - regardless of you thinking about them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
                  I don't how Windows 7 is organized with respect to drivers in kernel/user space that but I've seen it do sth really awesome - recover from graphics driver crash. In my case the crash seems to have been caused by faulty hardware because exchanging the graphics card for an identical one fixed the issue. But it was impressive nonetheless.
                  Something like recovery from a driver failure should be a feature that the Linux kernel should have and decoupling drivers from the kernel should theoretically allow the kernel to attempt a "restart" a driver that has crashed/segfaulted due to bugs or hw faults and put a notification into the system log of that action.

Comment

Not convinced

Drivers in userspace = slower, harder to manage, can crash your system anyway because they talk directly to the hardware, must be run with high privileges and are therefore a security threat.

Does it sound familiar? Yes, we already have that in Linux: the X server is a driver in userspace, that's why it needed to run as root, and people are doing a lot of work to get away from that design.

Comment

Working...
                    X